1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Rental

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by randl13, Feb 25, 2009.

1. randl13

randl13 Junior Member

I am taking over a condo association next year with 226 units. I was wondering if it would be better to rent a skid steer or toolcat for snow removal. We do not need either piece of equipment in the spring or summer, so I thought that it might make more sense to rent or lease one of those for the winter months. I am just wondering what I would expect to pay for a 3 month lease or rental of a skid steer or toolcat. I will have my truck and the association has a small Kubota tractor with a back blade to help clear in front of garages. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

probably have to rent for longer than 3 months for a snow price......A bobcat salesman was just here yesterday and i inquired about rental rates for skidsteers for snow...$800/mo for smaller machine, (s70-s175) and $1200/mo larger machine (s185-s330)

3. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Why not sub the work out to a guy that has a skid,if you give xxxx amount of money for so many hrs then you know you have that piece of equipment there,and if he dosn't show up then deduct it from the money .I sub for a local company and it goes good,he does the salting and removal I go in and do the pushing.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

your rental prices are good....here a machine will rent for about 1500-1800 w/cab per month. IMO a skid would be a great way to go on that type of property. subbing would work unless he doesn't show or says his machine is down ( ofcourse at the last minute!!) i prefer not to use subs for those reasons unless you have no choice

5. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

If you are locked in like me then you have no choice to show up,I have a guaranted 230 hrs for xxxxx amount then after the 230 I fall by the hour.It works for me great that way I know that my ass it covered I can do my plowing then still do work for the city by the hour,subbing also lets me sleep a bit longer don't have to stay up watching the weather,he just two way radio's me and I am gone .:salute:

6. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

Apparently rental prices vary greatly?!? Up here I rent a Cat 262C for $550/mo +$0.50/hr, I maybe averaged about $700/mo.

Regardless, If you can find a deal like mine I personally feel its best. A lower flat rate per month with an hourly charge, if it only snows 2" that month your not out $1500+. All the big dogs around here run rented iron it seems...

edit: shop around at the big equipment dealerships, most will have a chart they email out with all the rental rates and conditions on them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The rate i had (800 and 1200/mo) is based on 40 hours of use per week. throughout the season, so in theory here you'd never go over that in a season

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

T-man, I think you were referring to me. The quote came from Mid-States in Watertown, which is between Madison & Milwaukee. It wa sfrom a salesman, not a rental guy, so he may have been guessing a little. We figured it across 125 hrs. also, & it was about $4500 total.

11. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i payed 700 a month for a L170 with a 4 month min but no hours max

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What dealer ? I priced out an ls-185 2 speed last season from Payline West and they were $1500 a month.

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think that was the NH special in the ad that was on top of the page on this forum all winter

14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

From my expereience renting vs buying the rental payments (at least here with a 5-6 month season) works out to be a near wash. My first bobcat (a 753) was 1500/mo to rent, was 450 to buy (cheaper/year), same when I bought the used 773 & 873, those are now paid off the 773 has 1500 hrs the 873 has about 750 hrs. The loader I just bought was 3300mo to rent ( $19800/yr) or 1475/mo to buy (17,700). So after insurance & maint. it will be a wash. It had 100hrs on it now when I bought has 225,now & we're done for the season, so when its completly paid off it will have well under 1000 hrs (still new by heavy equipment standards). I also have the room to store them.

15. Neal12

Neal12 Junior Member
    from UK

I’m a newbie here, feeling good to be a part of this discussion. Thanks for the information Longae29.