1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Rental for Winter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mullis56, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I am renting as of today 10 backhoes, 4x4 with cab, and with a 3 month minimum on the rental period, just curious what type of rates you all think is fair? 40 hours per week allowed which is more then enough for the Indianapolis area.....let me know your thoughts.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If you have that large of an outfit, then you should know if you are getting a good deal...

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2-3,000 a month each.

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is less then 2K per month each so I feel good about it...it is just a little un-nerving spending that kind of cash on snow, but it will all be good!

5. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

That's a chunk of change.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Kind of a risk. You can't find subs who own their own equipment to work hourly?

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I can but costs much more. It is for $1,000/month, plus the equipment is there hooked up and ready to go. I am happy with it.

8. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

my $.02 is that if you are renting that volume of equipment it's time to buy your own. I'm not saying new but good used. Yes I know its alot of money to shell out but its yours and when your done with it you will recoup what you have in it. Should be able to get into a early to mid 90's backhoe for about $8k or better yet get a few larger loaders that can do the same amout of work as a backhoe for around $11k each

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

That will be a good option in the future! Buying used equipment!

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Seems very late in the season to be renting stuff. What have you done for equipment for the last month? And what about pushers?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Only had 3 saltings and no pushes yet. Have boxes by subs and the ones I already have.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes but what if it had snowed, 10 backhoes can plow a big area and I can't see not having them already. JMO

13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

They were all ready, just pulled the trigger now....usually first snow fall Dec/15th.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I guess your area is different then mine, not many places have 10 backhoes sitting around ready for snow, good luck with them.:drinkup:

15. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Yeah, but by renting the stuff from the dealer etc. They take care of repairs etc normally. Plus you get newer machinery that starts on the first turn of the key. If you buy older stuff, it'll break more often. Then when the 3 months are up in this guys case, they take it back. No payment on insurance and payments for 9 months a year.And looking at his signature, He's got a duramax and a hummer and a bunch of pushers. So i assume he has no use for the machines come summer. Things would be different if say he owned an excavating business, and could use the machine all year.

16. stauffer.80

stauffer.80 Junior Member

I also was quoted $1000/month up to a 176 hr. limit for a 310G 4x4, cab from our John Deere dealer. That is a good deal for that backhoe if you have sure use for it. My problem is what happens if we get a snow storm, I get the backhoe, then it doesn't snow at all the rest of the month. That one snowstorm costs me a lot in just equipment. I don't know what to do about it yet, but they wanted me to get it by the month because I didn't want to haul it around in the snow. I may just rent it by the day, not sure yet. I was trying to make more money by adding some rental pieces to our current fleet, but maybe it would not be profitable.

17. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

what about on here that snow central ad from new holland, i wonder if its just for the small skid steers or the big wheel loaders, out of curiosity i looked up on a site for used wheel loaders and a 07 john deere cost like 79,000 which is crazy money. if i bid a bigger lot next year i will make sure they pay whether it snows or not and its enough to rent a loader and i make money

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

By me $1000 wouldn't even cover a weeks rental.A month for that 310G goes for $4200 and up per month.They're practically giving it to you,consider yourself lucky.Maybe you should have had in your contract a minimum $ amount in the event like you say if it doesn't snow.That would only be fair,obviously this is a commercial large lot and you are dedicating iron on site and ready to insure plowing is taken care of. That alone justifies your compensation.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Last time we rented a Back Hoe it was a JD 310 with a 14' pusher. It was $2200 per month with the pusher

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Mid 90' back hoe = $18,000.00 if your lucky unless its open cab, two wheel drive and 10,000 hours on it