1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment reantal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johndeereguy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just curious to what guys are paying to rent skid loaders or other large equipment for the winter. Do you pay so much per hour? Minimum for the month or season? This should be about as interesting as to what guys charge, casue its going to vary greatly. Let the numbers fly

2. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

S300/ $1600 a month

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

You can get skid cheaper then that, and I hear backhoe's go for around $2000

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i can get a backhoe for less then 1800 a month

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

This is my personal opinion, I never rent, I always buy......... renting for 5-6 months is USUALLY more expensive then financing....... Its really a win / win situation.... you own the pc of equipment which if you could use it in the summer. As well as write off all interest and depreciation on your taxes .....
    I love depreciation! But too each their own. Alot of guys on here just rent and have good reasons for doing that route also...... IMO renting is a waste of $

Good luck!

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Check:drinkup:

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Buying is usually better than renting or leasing, but it's not always feasible for all people or comapnies. It's conceivable to rent or lease a backhoe or wheel loader for 1800-3000 a month. Getting approved and tying up capital in a 100k machine might not be as attractive. Off season payments, storage and year round upkeep add to the cost of owning.

Tracked skid for 1400/month.
    Komatsu WA200 for 2200/month.

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Did you need other's numbers to help quote a job? Or, was this out of curiosity?
    Not that we don't rent machines, but lately the price to rent isn't worth it.
    This past year we rented a S185 for next to nothing. However, the dealer isn't moving machines as fast and won't rent at the same rate from last year.
    So, we bought a Deere 326d instead.
    The bigger equipment dealers around Milwaukee don't have a big interest in renting wheel loaders because when it comes to snow customers they always have to beat down doors to collect the rent on machines.

10. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I used to rent a Skidloader for $800/month with unlimited hours and they included a snow bucket. I thought it was a pretty good deal until I was in the position to buy one. Now I bought a brand new Bobcat S650 and I spent about 2500/year more and I own it! Wheel loaders are around $1600-2200/month here, so I bought a used one and my payments are cheap!

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

$900/month for a skid.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I dont know about the price for skids but a backhoe is going for 1800/month, and a wheel loader is going for 3,000k.

13. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Thats a lot of money for one of those. I could own two for that with enough put down on one.

I was in the same boat this year (weighing out buying vs. leasing) as I am looking at picking up two new skids for this season and running the numbers, it just makes sense to buy it for me rather than leasing. But thats not always the case...

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Best Line Equipment for a S300 skidsteer

must be 3 month rental minimum (includes soft cab free) 715 a month and 12.50 an hour OR 615 a month and 16.50 an hour. It takes 25 hours a month to break even.

15. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We seasonal rent/lease all but (2) backhoes and (4) skids that we have ourselves...rates make a big difference on snow season length we do only (3) months and rates must be different again based on amount of snow...

16. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I thought it would be interesting test to see all the differant amounts and thoughts. Kind of like the bidding process, everyone has differant numbers, and differant ideas on why one bids one price, while someone else bids another amount, and they both will make money. I currently am going to rent 4 John Deere 328/332 skids for $15 per hour this winter, and put Arctic Sectionals on them. I know I am getting a pretty good deal, but was just curious as what others pay.

17. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

That's just what I was told a few weeks ago. I would never rent I would buy all day.

18. By"US"Snow

By"US"Snow Junior Member

If you need a number of loaders to fulfill a contract and you accounted for the rental of the equipment there is nothing wrong with the rental. If your winter service is larger than what you do the rest of the year there might be a point where you cant justify buying large machines and try to figure how to pay for them during the off season. If you can make a substantial amount of money on top of the rental rate and not have to have the capital tied up in the machine, I see nothing wrong with rental of equipment that you might not use year around. You can look at it as being a subcontractor to your business. If you wanted to make more money you would buy more plow trucks for all your work rather than hiring a sub to perform work for you and making a smaller margin.

19. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I was looking into leasing a second S300 for this season and then finance it after the winter "snow rental" is up so i'll be buying it like my other. They told me $1,800/month minimum of 4 months and if i decided to buy after the 4 months is up, it would be around $900/month for 44 months. The good thing is if you buy it, they told me they take 80% of your $1,800/month payment and put it towards the balance if financed.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  20. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

First where are you in Iowa. That rent is cheap. I checked it out last year. Omaha/Council Bluffs area it is 1750 a month for a 4x4 backhoe and about 800 for a good size skid with cab. 4 month min. I ended up buying a backhoe from a dealer in Omaha on in house credit over 3 months. And made them put a warrenty on it.