1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fms, Feb 11, 2013.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Just picked up a complex that will require an 8-10' box pusher. Large overall area, but with specific stacking areas and smaller connected parking areas that will require the snow to be carried longer distances than I wan't to do with a 9-10'plow. Snow will also have to be pushed back further and stacked higher than I'm willing to do with a dump truck. I think an F-550 w/ a 10' Vee could handle 75% of storms, but I would have been jammed during last weeks 30" storm.
    Large skid steer?
    Small loader?
    I have access to John Deere, Kubota, Terex (further away for service) and Bob Cat. I'll buy or lease, new to 3 years old.
    Interested in pros and cons between skid steer vs. small loader and any input on brand preference and reason why.
    Thank you.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well a skid is easier to transport on a trailer
    A mini ex can push a little more and has a better all around view
    A mini can push the snow farther back and stack easier
    So what else might you be doing with the machine all the other times during the year??
  3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If you buy concider what you might use the machine for other than snow removal.
    A skidsteer is a very usefull machine, all the attachments that are available for them is unbelievable.
    I prefer the bobcat, they have the best user friendly controls. Visibility kinda sucks in all of them, but you get used to it, and if you get tracks for it you should be able to push the snow up in piles almost like a bulldozer. As far as a small loader, do you mean a small front end loader or a small backhoe?

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

FMS look at a skid with a big snow bucket like a 96" or I think they make one bigger. I know bob cat has them but can source them through FFC as well. That way you can plow and transit snow with it. I have seen a bunch of companies around Portland use this tactic. Or for more visability try a mini loader, Like a Yanmar V4-6 or Kubota r520.
    Heck of a storm huh, crazy drifts.
  5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Whatever I go with will primarily be used for snow and be parked for the summer.
    I like the idea of better visibility. Too many people creeping behind equipment while we're working.
    Being able to transport without hiring out would be nice with the skid.
    Neuswede- Why a bucket instead of a box pusher. Seems like I'd be able to carry more with the box pusher. And yeah, we were pulling laps around buildings to find the same drifts we had just cleared.
    Thanks for the feedback.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Bucket is nice because you can scoop if your going some distance as opposed to pushing it all the way down. if you ever have time or are passing by check out seabreeze at Mercy on State street seems to work for them and those buckets are huge.
    I am in the same boat for visability. I just added a mid size strip mall and will finish this season with a truck but next year will have a small loader (Probably yanmar V4-6) with a 9' Kage plow. Saw the demo at NE Grows and that is a slick plow.

Yea I had drifts that couldnt be plowed had to go back with my skid to dig them out, crazy storm, I hope to never see anything like that again.
  7. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

Uhmmm Sorry!... but "A mini ex" as in a mini excavator ??? …. I def think when the writer was referring to a Wheeled articulating Loader, an excavator would be SOOOOO impractical, and the tiny blade they have can't push crap ….

As one of the other posters mentioned about handy and year round use a Skid is a great way to go, but if you were to look into a small loader like even a Cat 924 ITC they're readily available used, and i'd bet at a good price too, they have a great 360 view, nimble, agile and really quik to motor down a road … with an ITC version there are many attachment that can be put on fast …. Just another POV. ...:drinkup:
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

It really depends on the layout of the property. We plow 2 complexes that are around 3.5 acres each. I have a skid loader at each, due to the fact that even though they are decent sized, a small loader just would not work. The one complex is a condo unit that has 24 small parking areas (hard to turn a truck around in), which is super smooth to plow with a smaller (50hp) skid steer. We rarely ever plow this property with a truck. It just doesn't work. The second complex has a few smaller lots, mixed with a bigger lot. We plow that complex with a bigger (80hp) skid steer and a truck. Reason being, the skid is super nice in the tight areas, yet can handle the bigger areas fine by itself. We use a truck as well due to the fact that a Wideout can make quick work of the larger lot.

It all comes down to having the right piece of equipment for the job. I've plowed accounts with the wrong equipment, lost money on it etc... I would go with what you KNOW will work, not whatever is the "cheapest" option. If you are at all worried about a truck not being able to handle it, I would skip that option as my main choice. Basically a large skid could be fine, due to the type of setup you have. But for stacking, a wheel loader would be a pretty good choice. Yeah, it may be overkill for lots of storms. But you want to keep the customer happy no matter what size storm you have and be able to clear the property in a timely manner.

Hope this helps you a bit.
  9. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Neuswede that yanmar was pretty cool at NE grows, but did you look at the case 321? And we are pretty convinced on the kage as well

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

SD The Yanmar was Great, I spent an hour talking to the Sales people and the Yanmar rep. I had talked to them prior to the show so was good to put a face with the person. The 321 is nice have rented one before for removal and liked it but the yanmar is a bit smaller is what I like. Would be great to have a large loader but not practical for me. The Kage is a great unit have wanted one for a couple of years but haven't had a need that would justify the price till now.
    Nothing like picking up a good size lot next to a lot I already have because the plow guy couldn't handle the storm. Made a good impression have it for the rest of this year and should be able to renew the contract and a 9' Kage will be mine! The yanmar guys said it will handle a 10' pusher but I figure 9' is safe for wetter snow.

Also 0% on the Yanmar loaders! have to wait for my demo to see how it goes.
  11. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

0% on Case too, I was impressed by the Yanmar loader and the excavator, but the skidsteer was a bit rough. I m looking for a skid though

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Don't ask me why (maybe its the color) but I have never liked case but have never spent much time in them either. The yanmar is the exact same thing as my gehl just different loader arms. Not the fanciest of skid steers but it gets the job done.
    The interior in the track loader was nice, the controls and and lap bar are all connected to the suspension seat so when you hit a bump you hands dont come off the controls.
  13. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

The kubota and the yanmar are virtually the same machine except kubota puts there engine in it and yanmar puts theres. if you sit them side by side they are spot on to a t the same machine. i have an r420 loader with the backhoe and the machine is alright. its a jack of all trades master of none. 43hp, 1500lb lift 8ft backhoe etc the nice thing about it is its an all year machine and can run bobcat attachments too. being its only 7800 lbs you can easily move it on a 10k trailer and with a pickup or small dump. the r520 however is in the 9000lb area and needs a 12k trailer to move legally. just a lil .02 if i can make a suggestion get a cab if you go that route its 360 visibilty means no wind block and it gets cold!
  14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Slightly off topic but just curious as to how you picked it up over half way through winter. Did the blizzard do the other guy in ?

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I work in the same area as FMS but we deal with different client base and I can say the blizzard has done a lot of guys in. I picked up 2 commercial accounts for the rest of the season. Its interesting, but I think the guys that had too many accounts for not enough money gave up!
  16. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Contractor and client seemed to have had a deteriorating relationship and the blizzard was the final straw. I received a call mid blizzard to take over.

The Kubota or Yanmar should be able to handle a 9' Kage without too much of a problem?
  17. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Oh yeah. Thanks for all the responses.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I was told by yanmar that the V4 (Same as the Kubota r520) will handle a 12' pusher, but Im sure that is in powder. a 9' kage should handle it fine
    Sleeper is actually brining me a V4 to demo tomorrow, I will be interested to see how it runs, I have demoed a Takeuchi as well.
  19. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I myself have been considering the same thing and thus far, I think the mini loader is the route I will be going. They seem to be a pretty good machine for what I'd need versus a skid steer. I aso like the fact that there is less damage possible to turf with the mini loader compared to the skid.
  20. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine