1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment purchased! No looking back!

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by hickslawns, Feb 25, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I picked up a used tow behind sweeper today, and now there is no looking back. We have 2 Walmarts signed and a local truckstop wants an hourly price. One of my buddies lined that opportunity up and he said they have been paying $60/hour but weren't happy with who they had. Maybe I will try to hit them up for a little more! I swept my Uncle's car wash and it did a real nice job. It was hooked to my dually and was still pretty agile, so hooked up to a smaller truck it should be real maneuverable. Let me know if you have any suggestions, and maybe I will get some pictures posted soon. I am excited, so I will keep all posted as to how the tow and vac performs. I think the tow behind is the way to go. It was a fraction of the cost, and will have the money back in my bank account within 4 months with just the 2 Walmart stores. That is a quick payoff time in my opinion. I have already figured payroll, fuel, dumping, maintenance, and insurance into the equation and should still be able to pay back my savings account in 4 months after covering the above listed costs. Let me know what you think!

2. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Congrats on your purchase. If you are happy with the setup and it will make you money (bottom line) sweep on. :waving:

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

What kind did you get? I'm thinking of selling my tennant 240 and getting a tow unit.

4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Avalanche-
    I only saw 2 brands of tow units available. I bought the Tow-a-Vac which has been sold under a couple different names. I think Vac-Tron and Sweepster. It has a curb brush which I haven't used much yet, but doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe operator error I am still learning. I think a search on the net for vactron or vac-tron will get you some info. Otherwise try sweepster.
    I bought this used and couldn't pass it up. It was like new and I paid $5500. New they are around $20k. This is the only used one I have ever seen. There just aren't many out there I guess.
    If you are seriously shopping, you need to give Randall James a call at Tow-Vac. He is a straight shooter from North Carolina and I know his units are $10-15 new. They are lighter, and designed completely different from the unit I got, but seem to be great. If I didn't find this one used, I would have bought one of his. A guy 45 minutes north of my town has one and I talked to him. He loves it. Randall will send you a CD with a real nice video. I think his website is www.tow-vac.com and that is a nice looking unit too.
    I wanted to keep my investment low, but from word of mouth response, I may have to buy another unit within a year and this is the one I will buy. Either one will probably work for you. I haven't had much time to play with it, but start next week on my Walmart accounts and will keep you posted if interested. Good luck with your decision.

5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I'm now looking at the schawre, spelling I know, slide in unit. Because towing a unit in a small tight area might be tuff. They are like $20k new and have the high dump feature. They also say they slide out and in, in like 5 min.

6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Good luck with your decision Avalanche. I had talked to several people using the tow units before buying mine and they loved them. They were doing K-Mart or Walmart sized lots and I don't know yet how it will do in smaller lots such as a restaurant. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!