1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

equipment package

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 4prrdu, Dec 1, 2006.

1. 4prrdu

4prrdu Junior Member

Does anyone know what the "Heavy Duty Service Package" included on a 1997 F-250 extended cab short bed 4x4 (light duty body style not a super duty)? Thanks!

2. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

you mean a 1998? my 97 f250 heavy duty just has a 4:10 rear and 2 more leaves in the rear...its the 92-97 style

3. J29

J29 Senior Member

Don't hold me to this, but I think you get the E4OD auto tranny instead of the smaller
    4R70W, a heavier frame, larger rear diff. and a 7700lb payload package, plus the 7 lug wheels instead of the 5 lug. Hope I'm right so it helps you out. J.

4. 4prrdu

4prrdu Junior Member

Hey guys –thanks for the responses. I recently purchased this truck used – a deal that I could not pass up. It is a 1997 F-250 Super Cab 4x4 with a 7’ 6” Western UniMount plow, 17,000 miles, always garaged, dealer maintained – belonged to some family friends who used it as a “work truck” at their cottage. I have always had Chevys, and this is my first Ford (and first plow for that matter). It is like driving a new truck after having my ’95 Chevy for 165,000 miles. I am just trying to find out exactly what I have. Yes, the truck is a 1997 model year. It is my understanding that Ford made two F-250 models that year, the light duty which looked like the F-150 (and is the model that I have) and the Super Duty. Ford ran a build sheet for me and it shows that it has a “Heavy Duty Service Package”, but they did not spell out what was included in the package. Per eye and the decoded door sticker, the truck has 7 lug wheels, 4R70W auto trans, 7200# GVRW, 4150# front GAWR and 4300# rear GAWR. The package must also include aux. trans cooler and oil cooler as the truck has these factory components but they are not listed individually on the build sheet. So – I have reasonably good idea of the equipment. The biggest questions that I have are the size of the alternator and whether or not the rear end is limited slip. Aside from pulling the alternator, I cannot see any ratings on the case. The battery has 750 cca rating and is OEM (model BXT-65-750) (not sure if it has ever been changed, we will see how it holds up in the cold). The rear axle is a code 26 on the door sticker and has a tag indicating 3.73 ratio and 10” (or 10.2”?) ring gear. It also calls for 75W140 synthetic oil only. Any ideas on the alternator size or limited slip? Would these have been part of the “Heavy Duty Service Package”? Thanks again for all of your help and may Santa bring you lots of snow!

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It's likely that the alternator is bigger because of your package, but not the limited slip. there are lists somewhere on the internet that tell you what the exle codes mean. Do some searching. I bet the heavy service package gave you a anti sway bar and maybe an overload spring, or even a little higher GVWR. Try going to a Ford Truck site, you may get more responses.