1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment On Site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bike5200, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Have snow moving in on Thursday, 2-4 inches. A store has requested a piece of equipment be set on site. Moving a New Holland LS 170 with 72 inch bucket to the site. The store will pay weather the skid is used or it sits. If this equipment is not used how much would you charge?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same as if it moved.

3. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

4 hr Minimum

4. getoffroad

getoffroad Junior Member
    from Mass

At the very minimum, charge for two way transport of the machine. around $100 each way.

5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed, that would be the minimum IMO. The actual amount is up to you.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd charge transit and 4 hours min usage for the machine and an operator

7. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

4 hr min plus travel for sure. They are paying for insurance.

8. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Am i missing something?? Why would they care if a skid was on site or not?? Would they Use it? Im Confused Sorry!

9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I think come clarification is in order. Do they want it on site for a period of time, or indefinitely?

:confused:

10. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

ThANK U Im not the only one who is confused! I was worried for a min. I would think "why would they care if a skid was on site or not, as long as all of the snow is removed/plowed who cares!?!?" Unless they are going to use it (if u don't come get the snow up in time haha!) To my knowledge there is No point for the customer to request the equipment you should use! Just my Opinion..

11. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Getting snow today, will be on site just for this one snow event. Will probably be moved off site this weekend. Do not know why they wanted it there, but they said they will pay to have it sit on site. Look where I am at, Kentucky, this is the first snow of the year. Hell, all the grocery stores where probably empty of bread and milk last night.

2-3 inches of snow and 90 % of schools are closed, they where closing schools before there was snow on the ground, but in defense of the surrounding counties they have to deal with hills on narrows roads. Louisville schools where not close and if they let out early there will be hell to pay for that decision

12. Westhardt Corp.

OK, that helps. I'd say charge a 2-way transport fee even if the machine does nothing but sit. Other than that, per hour for machine/operator if it goes to work. That's about as fair as it gets, in my book...

:D

13. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

how long is it going to take you to load up, drive over and unload? if you are around the corner and it takes less then 15 min, charge 50-75 to drop of and again to pick up or charge accordingly, unless you use the machine, then charge as quoted and written in your contract, is there a reason this was not discussed at the signing of the contract, as in is this a one time deal?

Some of our contract require machines to stay on site, but the are seasonal contracts, never on "per push" deals.

On the other hand you could see it as putting on you plow the day before the storm, you don't charge your customer anything for that if it doesn't snow..., that's why I'm wondering if there are any notes in the contract. Another thought, since they told you they don't mind paying for it even if it doesn't snow, you can ask them if the have a price in mind

14. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Wow, you guys really freak out at the prospect of snow dont't you?! lol

The no bread/milk in the stores comment reminds me of when I was 10 driving to Florida with my parents and there was a snowstorm in Tennessee, they closed the highway, we had to find a motel to sleep. The restaurants were all closed and even the vending machines were sold out.

I couldn't understand why everything was shut down, as the stores would still be open in Canada.

So he must be paying for peace of mind. I would charge him accordingly!:nod: 4 hour minimum and float charges.

15. Westhardt Corp.

LOL....I lived in Alabama for a few years in the mid-90's, and they had a wicked storm come through. I have never before or since seen an interstate covered in ice...as well as everything (literally) else.

16. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Well they called off school at 1;15 pm, there was a couple of car bus accidents, the news said parents where upset about going to school for the day. I guess the school board got there money for the day. All schools where close today.

We got 3-5 inches over 10 hours was a long day, hit most lots 2 times, fighting cars/traffic.

Skid was used on site. Loading and unloading skid and drive time would be about 60- 75 minutes for one round trip

Talk about the way we freak out about snow down here. When the first or second snow storm of the season will hit, there will be tri-axle dump trucks with salt & a plow set along the interstate some times 2 to 4 hours before the snow starts

17. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Better than the roads in Indianapolis they wait for the cars to make a path for the snow trucks here. it is an absolute joke in my opinion that they can't even keep one lane on 465 clean until the storm is done for 6 hours... Guess the tax dollars we pay isn't enough to attempt to clean highways or keep from having to consolidate schools. Don't want to start an anti-government thread here but some things are just asinine.

They love the sand though, the miracle cure!

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I am always amazed how many people have to go to the store in a strom, stay home and be safe.

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

right, like why go out?

we all drive 4x4 trucks with plows on them, and if i didnt have to plow , i sure would keep my butt at home

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yeah no kidding. Wal-mart, banks, fast food restaurants are all hopping when it snows here. I think they all here wish for snow cause it makes them more money too. I plow a retirement home, some of the cars will sit for days and not move. When it snows, its like grand central station.