1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment for Road Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NBSnowGuy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

I'm looking at a contract with about 40 lane kms of short streets in subdivisions. They are low volume roads that can be snow packed and require sand only on hills and intersections. The accumulation should be kept under 8cms. Most of the streets are pretty short so I would like to avoid using a tandem. I am estimating that 1 international 4900 with a wing and 4 way blade should have no problem doing this work. Am I wrong?

Also, how much of a PITA is a 1 way blade for short roads and dead end streets?
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

Snow in New Brunswick, Canada

The problem with a one way blade
    is always the upper left point and the lower
    right point of the plow and the lack of visibility
    when trying to judge distances for the clearance
    of mailboxes and curbing.

Flagging the top left corner and the upper right corner
    can only help so much with clearances as you have to
    back up and it is very hard to watch the corners if you
    can not see both of them at all times.

This is not an issue with road graders because of the
    amount of glass area and spot lights allowing the
    operator almost 300 degrees of unrestricted vision.

A rear mounted camera could cover the sixty degrees
    that is behind the engine compartment easily and the
    Cab Cam units have a distance grid to show the driver
    how much actual space exists for the machine to
    reverse safely.

I think you would be much better off
    using a small surplus 6 wheel drive
    road grader with a wing in reserve
    for this as you will have better visibilty
    and more accurate blade control with
    the belly blade and its ability to side shift
    with the blink of an eye.

The grader will be easier to maintain and
    will have longer service life. The cost to insure
    a grader woul dbe less also as it is a low speed vehicle.

The biggest advantage is the fact that a road
    grader will have an automatic 12 feet of plow edge to
    use on the roadway.leaving 8 feet or less to plow on
    the second pass.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  3. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

We've been doing that kind of work for about 30-40 years. Six-wheelers (real ones) are definitely the way to go. One-ways are definitely a PITA for dead ends - go with a reversible. Ours are mostly Coté 12-foots. I'll attach a couple of pictures, I hope.
  4. Landcare - Mont

Couple close-ups. The red truck, we took the one-way off it and put on a reversible. It's been working the last 5 years in a small town with 12 kms of road and tons of dead ends leading to the lake; it does all the salting/sanding for this town too.

We have one town (suburb of Montreal) which has 49 kms of roads, mixture of residential and an industrial park. The contract specifies 4 units on the road at 5 cms. It splits very nicely into one truck in the industrial park, one on each side of the residential sector and one to run the main arteries constantly. In most snowfalls, it's one truck too many but perfect to have when you get the 'big dump'.

Unit 27 a.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Landcare - Mont

Truck maintenance isn't an unusual thing; everyone does it. I'm not so sure about the insurance cost - liability is liability - we don't insure our vehicles for collision damage to themselves; we always feel that they'll generally come out on top in an argument with a car or small truck.

Plowing most of the snow to one side of a residential street often becomes an issue with the residents because 'YOU PUT MORE SNOW IN MY DRIVEWAY THAN IN MY NEIGHBOURS!!!' - most of the complaints we get from City Hall.
  6. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

Landcare-Mont: How long does it take you to plow the streets in that town one time with 4 trucks?
  7. Landcare - Mont

of course it depends on how much snow but we can clear all the roads within 4-5 hours for a normal (5-15 cm) snowfall - usually the fourth truck only works about 2 hours.
  8. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

Thanks for the info. This job shouldn't't be too bad and the truck might even have some extra time to go work on other jobs.