1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

equipment for a Lowes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Nov 19, 2002.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was just at my local Lowes and you should see what the guy doing it has to plow the lot.He has a 275C Michigan loader with a Pro-Tech snow pusher.I don't think that he will need any other equipment except a sander truck and a bobcat to clean arounf the doors and stuff.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Cat do you know what size pusher? Did they have anything else there? Also did the loader have a conrtractors name on it?

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

didn't measure it but it had to be at least 14' or so maybe 16' ,there was no name on the machine that I could see but i think there was something that said God Bless America .No other equipment JD it's at the Woburn Lowes. Now that is one account that I would love to get.

4. JD PLOWER

Those accounts are mostly hourly, so unless you already have that equipment its not something I would look forward to plowing.

Most BJ's, Costco's and Homedepot's in this area and shopping malls are done by a company called NECC and they pay their subs about 20-30% less than what the equipment is worth, thats how they get most of those types of lots.

5. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Actually BJ's does all thier own hiring of contractors from thier main office in Natick MA. We plow one of them in the next town over. They give you a spec sheet and you fill in the blanks for your equiptment and prices. Snow plowing is in 2" increments and salting and sanding is by the ton and they don't ask how many tons will be used they leave it to the contractors discretion.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

What do ya think they get for a machine that size it's a real big machine almost bid on one at an auction but really what would you do with such a machine unless your are doing sub divisions or your on the big dig.don't think they he will need any thing else with that machine gotta go back and check it out when i have more time

7. JD PLOWER

Landman you are correct.

I did know a contractor who bid one in a neighboring town but that was many years ago (when BJ's first opened in this area) and I thought they had gone over to a per hour basis since he he has not recieved an rfp since.

Cat speaking of the dig, I was told by an equipment broker in Everett that when that ends (it will probably never actually end) you will be able to buy A HUGE amount of equipment at fairly low rates due to a soft construction market. So keep counting the years till then ;) .

BTW I was quoted $120 per hour for a four yard machine (five hour min.), if that helps

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

They have one a wall marts here in town. A huge machine with a 14 foot brand new plow.

It just sits in the lot and doesnt move all year till needed.

Every time I drive by I have to wonder.....

How much are they getting for that lot, that they can afford to let assets just sit like that?

I could be wrong, but seems they could have bought three plow trucks for that cost.. and worked them.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

:confused:

9. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

hey sno, is'nt funny how you always think your doing something wrong. i do the same thing

10. Sno

Sno Senior Member

That just has to be a waist of assets... No?

:(

11. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it depends if the machine is paid for or not, if they have other work for the machine, if the machine is required to be there at all times. maybe they get paid for the machine being there? maybe the store owns the machine, and they hire someone to operate?
    to have a machine sit and not make money, while you are making payments on it sucks.
    who knows. personally i would say its a waste of assets if it sits yearround.

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Just saw some more :Company on side of truck BF Construction

cat 416 backhoe
    Bobcat with plow
    F750 wheel dump no plow
    '92 1 ton chevy single wheel truck with a 3-4 yard sander on it .
    I'm sure ther's more trucks but not there

13. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

I do 3 Lowes in Michigan. We use 3 3/4 ton pickups with 8 ft blades and tailgate spreaders. They pay by the push in increments. If needed, they will pay by the hour for loaders. They dont care about lot shrinkage just yet. Those lots are huge with plenty of space for snow piles.

14. duke

duke Junior Member

JD the Big Dig has already started selling off its machines, I went to a big auction a suffolk downs a few months back. Some good deals and some cr*p. Lots of dealers buying stuff up. It was interesting to see it bought up and the in the truck trader the next week. mark ups were 15% to 30%. There is another round coming up mid winter early spring I was told.

15. JD PLOWER

Duke did you you see any equipment from cashman, marino or JF white?

16. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

This is not meant to be rude in anyway what so ever.

But if u ever need any help after a storm i have 2 truck in the livonia area. One with an 8' boss and the other with a 9'2" boss v

And a 2 ton air-flo v-box salter.

With a big ice storm or a 10+ snow storm i imagine that must be rough.

Office #: 734-525-3660
    Cell#: 734-260-2203

17. duke

duke Junior Member

Lots of it had names stripped off, If I recall I saw some Modern continental equ. ( although alot of there stuff is headed up to Rt 3 project). The majority of the equ that had names on it was from Natl. Rental. the stuff was in the 2500 to 4000hrs age, 98 and newer for the most part. Some of the accesories were new never used or perfectly rehabbed. But the majority of the equ. was said to be from the big dig.

18. JD PLOWER

Duke what size and type of stuff did you see? Your right about marino's stuff going up to 3 I was driving up to billerica and saw some of his stuff, pretty nice :drinkup:. That guy must have made about 2 billion of the 15 billion paid out for the dig :eek: . BTW where in metrowest are you?

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have seen his stuff going up 3 and in Boston very nice when money is no object.They have quite a few loaders that I would love to use for snow and other work.:)

20. duke

duke Junior Member

Just moved from Newton to Norfolk. Rt 3 has alot of nice eye candy on it for sure. One trip down it a few months ago I stopped counting machines (Tracked) at 50 and I still drove by stuff for another 1/2 hour at 50mph!!
    The suffolk downs auction had everything from skid steers to 100k lbs track equmt and a littel of everything in between. Lots of back hoes and small (IT 28 Cat) to mid size loaders.