1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

equipment for 7 acre site and 3 acre site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Birdturd9726, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Birdturd9726

Birdturd9726 Junior Member

here is the situation i have...

i have a 7 acre site and and 3 acre site in which are located 7 miles apart from each other. They are about 15 miles from my yard and are my furthest accounts. i have the following equipment to use for these sites:

(1) Dresser 515 wheel loader
    (1) international 4700 with a 10' straight blade
    (2) Daewoo 2060xl's with 8' pushers
    (3) pickups with 8' straight blades

plan a: i usually sub out my wheel loader to a local college. I was wondering if some of you guys with more experience think i would be able to efficiently maintain these 2 lots with 2 skid steers and a 10' plow truck. I have a 20 ton deck over and can transport both skids at the same time, so i was thinking of rolling the plow truck and the 2 skids as the storm starts, drop one guy off at the small lot then drive with the other to the big lot and help him with the truck. then go back to the smaller lot, salt and load up the skid, go back to the bigger lot, salt and load up the skid, then catch some sleep.

plan b: would be to drop the loader off at the big site, then shoot over to the small site and hit it with the plow, salt and go back to the big site. This would cut me out of one account in essence.

plan c: would be to send 2 pickups and the international to the sites.

which of my 3 proposed plans would you think would be the most efficient? Thanks

2. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about your plan, but I would....

Dresser loader and one skidsteer would be kept onsite at the big lot

Small skidsteer would be at the little site

1 pickup dispatched to each site

International would be full of salt, do the small site first, since they would still be plowing the big site, top off the salt and then hit the big site

Be home by 10 am and go back to bed

3. Birdturd9726

Birdturd9726 Junior Member

no one else?

4. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Nope....Matthew G pretty much has the Bull by the horns on this one.......:salute:....:drinkup:

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd leave both skids at the 7 acre lot and do the 3 acre one with the pickup and if need be bring a skid in when needed. A 3 acre lot isnt that big. Even on a 7 acre lot having a loader and a skid would be overkill.

6. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

True.
    Until he gets 12" of snow in one short dumping.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
    jmo

7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I do a 5 acre lot with 2 pickups.

I would continue to sub the loader, put 2 skids on the 7 acre with a truck and then have 2 trucks on 3acre.

You can always trailer a skid to the 3acre if needed.

8. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

moving your skids nightly in a storm would get real old. I would do the big site with a loader, that's just me.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm prepeared for the worse but I have found most places don't want to pay for that. If your leaving a lot until 12" is on the ground your proabably a little slow getting there. A 3 acre lot really isnt that big, I plow one before I spread 20 ton of salt.

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Using 3 pickups with blades, an International with a blade, 2 skiddys, and a loader you should have no problem with those 2 lots. Go with G's plan and then go look for more work.

11. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I agree with JDave. Leave the skids at the 7 acre site. And do the smaller one with a truck or two.