1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Damage thread 09/10

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Dec 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I searched and didn't see a thread for this season yet. Sunday 12/6 was about three inches of light stuff. No issues. 12/9 storm a couple of problems. Drivers side deflector flap came off the XV. No big deal, I'll flip it over. Hit a boulder with the drivers side wing yesterday. Folded back when the pressure relief did it's job. But for some reason the angle ram hose got pinched and destroyed. Lost a couple hours, but now have a spare hose. I did the same thing on the other side last year. Can't really see where it's getting pinched, but I think I have a better way to route the hoses to protect them.

And my neighbor called after supper to do his driveway. He normally uses his snowblower. Should have known better than to plow across the lawn, but didn't. So add a $65 wrecker bill to the list.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

:laughing: I shouldn't laugh.

Don't feel bad though, I got stuck twice yesterday myself. I was able to get myself out though.....after alot of shoveling. It's pretty bad when I have the thought of telling an account to blow it up there .... and find someone else.

Then, late last night, after being out for more then 13 hours, wet, tired, hungry, and just plain pist off, I stopped over to an old friends / boss to give him a hand (plow & snowblower took a turn for the worse, as everything does in this mans life.) and end up backing into a tree! The first truck damage I have ever done plowing in 19 years! I thought bad things weren't supposed to happen to you when your doing a good deed?!?!

I contribute it to the stupid setup of his yard and the fact my lights aren't currently working. Good thing it was a small tree, but I now have a small dent on my rear quarter between the wheel well, and the bumper corner. :eek:

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

had a brake line blow out in the red dodge 3rd driveway in its route. big blue had to work double duty and cover 60 driveways.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Gee, lets see.....lost reverse in the Dodge, power steering line on the GMC, anything else....:cry: Whether my fiance likes it or not, im going new truck shopping!:) I dont need much of a reason to do that now do I!!!!

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fuel filter in the JD Blower is clogged, need to bleed air out of the lines in the plow, had to replace the heater motor resistor in my truck- but all in all nothing bad yet, knock on wood!

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Ryan, take it easy with that nice truck of yours.
    If not I am coming to take the backrack and lights.:nod:

Hope the damage isn't to bad.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

ahhhhh, no your not. :nono: Nice try though!

I think it will actually pop back out. I washed it up last night and there was no scratches, or creases. Once it gets warmer, or I can get it into a garage I'll try and pop it out. Otherwise she is going to my body guy to get fixed up.

8. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Snapped a mirror off-caught it on a dumpster-other than that no problems.

9. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

Not sure if this counts but my cell phone went on a walkabout and decided not to come back at some point while I was either shoveling or filling the spreader. Insurance overnited the new one to me, but ALL of my contacts are gone...

10. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

Some how this morning i broke my 4 wheel drive on the 98 chevy.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Hasn't something like this happened before?....I thought there was even a pic of it floating around here? I'm sure if you posted pics we would be even more simpathetic.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No pics. I looked at the lawn this morning. What a mess. I've been stuck a couple times. Always due to stupid decisions. Plowing a soft lawn, not putting stakes on a road running through a field, that one last push on a side slope with the blade angled the wrong way......

13. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I got nailed with 8 or so inches of heavy wet snow on 12/9... Got stuck twice, had to call in tow strap favors. I also found a broken tree branch overhanging one of my drives- that put a scratch down the side of the truck form the front door to the taillight. On top of all that, one of my rear calipers froze up and I had to do a brake job half way through the storm.

Today, I finally built up enough ambition to snow blow my own sidewalk, when I heard a loud crunch and saw all my keys being ejected out the chute of the blower. I was able to salvage the truck key and fob and the house key.... the rest of the 15 keys junk. :cry:

14. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

I broke a U Joint on my front drive shaft which sent the shaft flying around udner the truck. While it was having it's way with the bottom of my truck it destroyed the manual 4x4 shift lever, the front drive shaft, and put a hole in my transfer case. All together about 2k in repairs with using JB Weld to repair transfer case.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why would I want to chronicle and publicize this? :laughing:

Tried it once before and I still haven't lived it down.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was only asking for equipment failures, not brain failures. I added the stuck for entertainmet value. And to show that, in spite of my username, I am indeed currently human and mortal.

And I ran my skidsteer in the water this week. Of course it was in a frozen crystalized form.;)

But I digress....

It's good for new guys to see that stuff does break, which is why we need to charge $25when it takes three minutes to plow a drive.....

17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

4wd wouldn't engage in the front actuator on the 97', but i just through a tarp down and got under there and manually made it work, other than that I realized that my 06 really needs new tires! Good storm overall =D

And I totally agree with all those who say that things break or happen when doing drives to help people out, EVERY time!

18. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

I also agree I broke my 4 wheel drive when I was doing a favor for my neighbor.

19. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Yup - my plow quite working today. I don't know but it appears to be the motor is shot...

I have only been doing family drives and friends - non of which I charge for. You would like to think that by helping out friends and family and not expecting anything in return that it would at least exempt you from failures......

I guess I better start charging so I have funds to fix this thing with if I get it going again!

20. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

I haven't even gotten to plow yet, and I am already having issues. Go to move my plow truck into the garage, and discovered that in the last week or so I developed a major gas leak. eh it was only 38 gallons spilled onto the driveway.