1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment causing enviromental issue? Really!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowfever, Dec 5, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Ok guys have any of you ran into this? I have a large factory I do the removal and ice melt on here in town and the other day I dropped my skid steer and trailer off there to stay on site all winter. These were put in the very back of the lot away from everything and out of the way. Well the guy calls me this morning and says his boss was down and said that I had to remove the skid and trailer from the property due to enviromental reasons. The guy told me that I could store the skid in a pallet shed they have and his boss was fine with that but I am not comfortable doing that for the reason that there is the possibilty of it getting damaged by a forklift or something like that. I have decided I am just going to remove the machine and trailer and just take it there when there is a chance of snow. It makes it a bigger pain for me but don't feel like I have anyother option. I didn't think this was that big of an issue and I have left equipment there before all season with no issues. I wish I just had another property there in town where I could leave it. I do have one but it is a low income apartment with a ton of kids so that wouldnt work out well either.
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I've seen some skids that were enviromental issues, along with trucks and loaders but a 2011 "new" skidsteer - That's a bit outragous, but they are the customer.
  3. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Yes I agree! I would totally understand if it had fluid running out from under it and causing a issue. Like the guy said they have there toter truck and a company pick up that sits out all the time and that isn't a issue. Oh well just kind of a strange deal.
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe offer to park it on some plywood, or canvas tarps.
  5. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

I don't think he means "enviroment" as in the planet, but rather the "enviroment" as in the surroundings. Having that out in the open invites vandalism and theft, which is never good. In the shed it would be "out of sight, out of mind", so to speak.
  6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. They don't want to be responsible for the equipment sitting out. "Environmental reasons" translation "we don't want your stuff right there."
  7. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I agree with that also. I just think it was kind of odd because I have parked stuff there before without issue. It is in a locked gated area with no access from the public. Not really a big deal to me but found it odd.
  8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Could you just rent a 20' sea container for the season and keep it in there?... cheap money and should address their concerns as well as yours.......
  9. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Sounds to me like the Boss man just does not want to look at it on their property and he must feel it looks tacky sitting there. No matter the reason they don't want it in the open. You could see if they'd let you buy one of those tent/enclosed plastic tarp/metal frome deals and put it in there out of site somewhere?
  10. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I had a similar situation at the subdivision where I live as well as plow. We have 6 sub-associations under our HOA. Some of the condo people complained about my trackloader with a bucket and blower sitting in the empty lot (which there are a LOT of). They wanted me to take it away and only bring it when it snows ......I told them that was fine, I reminded them that the master association Said it would OK to keep it there, but I would remove it. I then told them there would be a $100 mobilization fee for each time I needed to bring it back. They decided it was better to leave it on site.