1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Break Downs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Sep 19, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

In my years of experience, I have a few tips with dealing with break downs.

We have never had a truck break down to the point where it couldn't be driven back to the shop.

However we have broken, hydro lines, lift chains, parts of plows ect. We do some aggressive PM every year so we don't get many break downs however do get a few.

I have found it is much easyer to bring the truck, back to the shop and make the repairs in a heated enviroment. The work goes quicker, easier, and a lot less messy.

Now with a loader or backhoe having a slower transport speed, it becomes a toss up. If you are going to have to do a field repair bring everything you will need and then some. Make sure that if you have a "mechanic" that does all your repairs. He can get to the where the equipment is, and that he doesn't have a plow route, not getting plowed. If you have 2 plows down, to fix one, what have you gained?

Just from my experience.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Geoff on the shop being a MUCH better place to work.

PM does go a long way toward eliminating the need for on-the-job repairs.

I carry things on board to fix what I call "idiot" problems (shackles for the lift chain, hydraulic hoses, fluid, fittings where the hoses attach to the cylinders etc) and if it's a simple thing to fix, like replace a shackle on the lift chain or a fitting/line on one of the angle cylinders, I'll generally do it right there. More involved stuff, like a hydraulic line from the underhood powerpack out to the front of the truck or anything electrical, and yes - back to the shop it goes.

I work for a welding company, and when someone calls to see about getting their plow repaired we always try to get them to bring the plow to the shop for the reasons you stated. Crawling under a truck in a (salty/slushy) parking lot to straighten and weld is NOT my idea of a good time! :mad:
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

As far as welding repairs. I really don't have the correct set up to weld at 2 am in the snow. Or at least in a safe maner. So it doesn't matter what needs to be welded it goes back to the shop.

This way it is welded in a safe manner, and we get a good strong weld. If we go down a plow, we will deal with it, we can have a back up truck out on the road in a short period of time.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Only having three ot four teucks on the road I am much smaller. The mechanic is me and/or my brother. Or theorey is that because we operate within a short range of or shop everything is driven back if the repair can be made in less then an hour it is done. If not I give up my truck and plow with my 4runner (the spare truck) it will get the job done just slower because of a smaller plow. We also have a close friend who has a towing service so the one time we has a major problem we had the truck towed so that it was off the road and safe at the shop.