1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

equipment advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ned5485, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I am new to plowing, and to the site. I just had my first snow since buying a used system for my jeep. I was less than excited by its performance. It was leaving a lot of snow on the driveway/parking lot. I am guessing that I just need a new cutting edge. My question is, what kind is best? I only have a few chances a year to plow. I use it for paved lots, and some driveways, some are aggregate. It seems to me that rubber/poly edges would be best. Any comments or advice would be great. Mostly, I would love some advice on where to find the best product on a small budget.

2. payton

payton Senior Member

go to the local fab shop.. and get a steal cuttin edge.. cheaper and will last longer then poly.

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

really only need poly if your doing brick drives or other sensitive drives, rubber will squeegee the pavementbut doesn't last that long. steel will last a long time but leaves about an 1/8 of an inch of snow this will melt in sunlight, best bet is to get a steel cutting edge also make sure you take off the shoes on your plow.

4. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I do a few aggregate driveways, will the steel tear it up? I only get to use the plow a few times a year, and I don't want to tear up any property. Is there anyway to estimate how long/hours a rubber edge would last?

5. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Also

I am just assuming that I need a new edge. It was leaving streaks of cleared snow. I guess it is just not straight, and there is a very visible curve(rises about 1 inch) on one side. Should I just replace it, or is the some way of correcting it? I did flip it over when I bought it. Will it straighten itself out through use?

I dont have anybody around to get advice from. The only local plow shop seems very uninterested, and annoyed.

Thanks again

6. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Payton

Do you mean just any metal fab shop? Rather than the meyers dealer? I didnt think of just having one cut. Have you(or anyone) done this? Any idea what that should cost? It is only a 6.5 blade. I guess they will drill mounting holes too?

7. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

ned Go to Evansville sheet metal works, tell them what your looking for , they can set you up. By the way welcome to the site and if you need any work give me a call 3053544:waving:

8. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Daily

Howdy neighbor, Do you have any idea what they will charge? I absolutely need some work!!! Can you make it snow too? LOL
    I will definitely call. What do you do, since there is NO DAMN SNOW?

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I beleive the cutting edges are 1080 hardened steel. Go with a 1/2 inch thick piece

10. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Don't know what it will cost, just give them a call. I've been doing my snow dance all winter. I guess I need to find a new dance.:redbounce :redbounce With the warm weather we have been able to do some small landscaping jobs and just getting all the equipment ready to go for the upcoming season. We will get a good snow event before the season is over. On average we usually get out to push 3 times a year.:dizzy:

11. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Hey Ned welcome nice to see another Hoosier.Are your shoes all the way up?Steel is a little rough on aggregate driveways.

RCGM
    Brad

12. ned5485

ned5485 Member

thanks, glad i found it! I dont use shoes.

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

gravel acts like pavement once frozen, when soft use shoes or if its pretty flat lift the plow up an 1" and push.

The steel cutting edge won't correct itself, and remember, most driveways are not flat, especially if old, nothing you can do about that.

I have heard allot of good about the urethane cutting edges and I don't believe they wear away faster than steel. How quickly your edges wear is directly related to how heavy your plow is, the speed at which you plow and the number of hours you put on your plow each event. My cutting edge is in its fourth year of plowing and is now shot, but my backgdrag blade does all the residential work and my route has only been about 4 hours long each push. I know guys on this site that do private roads and big commercial and have blown threw cutting edges in just 2 pushes:eek:

14. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Fellow Jeep

I have a 2000 cherokee with a western 7'2" plow and I just put a poly on it 2 weeks ago. I got a blank 96"x6"x1" for 165 plus shipping from fall line, but I bought a 8ft blank since I didn't want to wait. If you have a 6'6" or a 7' it would be in the 140's just make sure you tell them you are a new customer which recieves a 10% discount. It plow well, does not get stuck on curbs and does not dig up grass like steel but can say how it will last.