1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Advice Please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by olesnowpatrol, Jul 20, 2012.

1. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

2nd season of residential plowing coming up. Used an '86 Ramcharger (86K original miles) with Meyer 7.5 plow and it did just fine. Recently bought an 01 F250 SB CC with 7.3 Diesel (219K miles) to pull our travel trailer and am wondering if should sell my current setup and buy a plow for the F250. I think my diesel truck will be more reliable, but I'm not sure I can maneuver it as well in some of my driveways. Which option would you suggest?

Please don't say "buy a plow for your truck and keep your old rig as backup" as I don't have the spare cash to do that.

Thanks for the feedback.
  2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

You might as well keep running the dodge till it dies then sell the plow setup. Yes the ford probably will be more reliable but it will be harder to move it around.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sell the Dodge. Why pay insurance of 2 vehicles if you don't use them. Plus it's not good sitting a truck all summer just to wait for plowing season.
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

You all ready know the dodge will work so keep it, you can always fall back on the ford if the dodge breaks and cant be fixed. JMO

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

My suggestion would be buy the mount for the ford so you are ready to switch the plow if needed

Whenever I buy a new daily driver I always install a mount and harness incase we need to use it. It has come in handy more then once.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on what midtown said. A mount and wiring are relatively cheap to buy and if you have two trucks its smart planning to have a backup.
  7. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub Junior Member

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The truckside mount on your ramcharger is getting quite rare. If you get rid of "rusty" then make sure you keep your setup or sell it outright. They stopped making them a few years back, and the only ones left are the boneyard or CL listings.

Personally, the RC is ideal for doing driveways, as you had mentioned, the maneuverability is key for doing small areas, and the Ford will make your time there that much longer doing driveways. My Longbed Dodge is a PITA for doing driveways, but awesome for parking lots or wide straight shot driveways.

Good advice here is to keep the RC until it's of no use, and in the mean time, pick up the truckside mount for your ford so you can be ready if necessary.
  9. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Keep the ram for one thing is its a driveway plowing monster. And like it's been said just buy the truck end and harness. And if you do sell it. They bring good money. If I had it I would keep it for driveways and use the Ford for your bigger lots