1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

enviromentally friendly salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chaser13114, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

I have a large acct that owns 4 miles of what you could call public roads. They had contacted the DEC who told them they could use salt on the public roads but could not use any inside there facility fence. They are a power plant that is comited to playing nice with the DEC. I had this acct last year and was limited to sand only inside the "fence". They have a cooling tower which produces a constant water mist that often creates ice over conditions on the blacktop.I have just signed a 3 year deal with them and would like to find a better alternative for inside their plant. I have considered magic or caliber but haven't got a real clear answer on its eviromental friendliness. I've been told it "more" friendly than salt but no clear proof of its status.
    Does anyone know much about it or of other ice control alternitives that the DEC may approve in this case.

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

One would think that just the fact that state DOT's such as NY and NJ have gone over to Magic might be enough to convince anyone.

Add to that the fact that you use as much as 30% - 40% less material might be another factor to consider.

3. sr_innovative

sr_innovative Junior Member
    from Toronto

re

Chaser,

I have to agree with Polarbear. MAGic or Caliber would be a great alternative for you, if you are looking into a treated salt.

Briefly, MAGic-0 liquid is a proprietary blend of distillers soluble and 30% MgCl2. MAGic-0 de-icer is specifically formulated to enhance the eutectic point, anti-icing properties and viscosity of MgCl2. The distiller's product inhibits corrosion and suppresses crystal formation within the MgCl2. The distiller's product also increases the friction co-efficient of the MgCl2 and aids in the prevention of the "slickness" period sometimes experienced when using other chloride eased brines.

MAGic-0 liquid provides a non-toxic, non-corrosive, cost effective product for a variety of applications.

Caliber M2000 (if you are looking to pre-treat your stockpiles) is a Blend of the Caliber de-icer with 30% concentration MgCl2. Treating a stockpile with Caliber M2000 greatly enhances the performance of the salt, especially at colder temperatures. The increased performance, along with the reduced bounce and scatter experienced when using a wetted solid, translates into a reduction of the material required. Further, a stockpile treated with Caliber M2000 will be free flowing regardless of temperature. Due to the corrosion inhibiting properties of Caliber, treating salt with Caliber M2000 reduces the corrosion to the infrastructure and equipment caused by salt.

If there is anything else you'd like to know about these products, please let me know. Send me a line at srobbins@innovativecompany.com

Regards,
    Scott Robbins

4. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

Let me clarify my question: Does adding magic or caliber to a salt pile make that salt non hazerdous to the enviroment. My customer requires me to only use sand within their plant because the Dept of enviromental conservation tells them salt is too hazerdous to the enviroment, through run off, for them to use privately.

I would like to offer a preweting product or a treated salt but I first need to prove to the company and maybe also the DEC that it is substantially safer for the eviroment then salt. I understand that the distilled product is enviromentally friendly but when its applied to salt are the negitive enviromental aspects of the salt some how reversed or are they still present?

Could I use magic or caliber as a spray alone and forget the granular salt? Would that improve the enviromental issues? Would be effective in melting the ice?

5. sr_innovative

sr_innovative Junior Member
    from Toronto

Chaser,

Treating your salt stockpiles with either MAGic or Caliber M2000 does drastically reduce the negative effects of salt on the environment. The liquid supresses the corrosive nature of the sodium chloride, which is one of the reasons why it has been approved for highway use, and for use on many industrial lots.

If the environmental concerns your customer has outweighs his budget concerns, then I would recommend using MAGic-0 liquid as a liquid de-icer, and forget the salt altogether.

For more information, contact John Parker at Taconic Maintenance, jparker@magicsalt.com