1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

entertainment value

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dodgedzlr, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Good evening Gents and any Ladies out there. Ok, so today Im at an account minding my own business and I look across the road and I see something that caught my eye. It was a truck. Newer model I would say 2009/10. Dodge Half ton Short bed. So you are reading this and saying to yourself write now. I dont see where he is going with this. Im trying to build up the suspense and Im waiting for your popcorn to finish so you can sit back down and read the rest of this. Now, on the side of the truck it reads Umptysquats Acme mowing/ Snow removal or something like that. As Guys we tend to be observant as to what other entree full of manure business men drive for there work trucks, write. So what do you think I spotted located just below the bumper on the front of the truck. Yep you guessed it, a name brand (Western) plow side Bracket. So you are saying ok whats the big deal the guy might be plowing residentials with a Suburbanite plow. Maybe, but it does not stop there. If you are using that keen deductive reasoning you have probably already thought to yourself. Ol Dodgey never mentioned whether or not the truck was a 4x4 or 2x4. For those of you who are saying to themselves write now NO WAY. Yes its true this man and his go get em take charge approach to the mowing and snow plowing business went out and put a Western straight blade plow on a 2 wheel drive, Short bed, Half ton Dodge. Also, at present he is running some awfully nice Street tires on that truck. Im really hoping to see how this set up works for him this winter. Im just throwing this out there but would you not think that with You Tube and web sites like this or even a friend in the business maybe even the guy next door he would of asked someone whether or not the set up he has may not be best suited for his future applications. Im just saying! Love to hear what you guys have to say or what you have seen out there.Thumbs Up

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would have done a double take but doesn't surprise me. People will try and put a plow on anything. About 10 years ago there was a guy around here who had a 7 1/2 unimount on a 2WD F150 regular cab long bed. With the plow up you couldn't see the top of the tires in the front wheel wells. Plus looking at the truck head on the tires were slanted inward showing how much stress was on the front end.

3. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Maybe he plows the driveways when there is only a little snow. When there is a lot of snow he plows it into little piles and uses a walk behind snowblower to get it off the asphalt.
    BTW, in our town we have a guy who has a snowplow on his late 90's baby blue Ford Taurus. It's a sight. Never asked him what he plows with it.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Stick to snowplowing,your storytelling skills are weak!:sleeping:
    Although i did read it all the way through!

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

well, at least it's a truck

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

We had a dodge truck at work that looked 2WD and was lower and everything but it was a 4x4. You couldnt tell from the outside.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Set of chains will turn it into money making beast!wesport

8. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

The money he saved with the truck he was able to get a WideOut ...

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

It can be done.

This is how:

1) buy a Dana 80 rear axle.
    (that should already be setting off some alarm bells....)
    2) buy a couple of 8 inch I-beams.
    3) weld I-beams under truck frame.
    4) bolt Dana 80 to I-beams.
    5) extend fenders sideways to fit double back wheels.
    6) chains.
    7) install 4 rear wheels.
    8) 4 tons of LEAD in truck box.

and finally;

9) Twist suburbanite into pretzel by actually trying to plow with this insanity.

10. jasonv

from kannada

I think I remember seeing a really whacked out factory ford suspension. It had the wheels attached to these crazy swing arms that were mounted at opposite sides of the vehicle. The wheel itself was mounted at a fixed angle with respect to the swing arm, so when the suspension was extended, it would have major positive camber, and when compressed, it would have major negative camber. I think it was the front of a ranger or exploder or something. If that F150 had the same kind of front end, that would explain why the wheel angled in so much when compressed. TERRIBLE suspension design, and would definitely lead to major tire edge wear, both inside and outside (most likely the prime reason for the exploder tire failures....)

11. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Ford has been using that front end forever. My F250 has it, and all the E-450s at work have them as well. It's far from uncommon.

12. jasonv

from kannada

I didn't say it was uncommon. I said it was whacked out, insane, ********, etc.

If you want to talk about how common or uncommon it is though, I'm not aware of any car maker BESIDES ford that does this. From that perspective, it certainly IS uncommon.

Oh wait, I actually can think of another car with this kind of insane suspension. I had a car once... it was a Skoda LS 120. Soviet. It had that kind of suspension on the back along with the engine/transaxle.

13. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

To the OP.... Your story needs a pic. A pic we can pick a part. Please put a pic in this post.