1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

enough to go!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DYNA PLOW, Dec 23, 2001.

1. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

bout an inch an a half on the ground ,18degree's, i'm going in the morn. gonna try the salter out for the 1st time and maybe putz around with the new plow as well.
    have a good christmas celebration everyone!
    dan

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have freezing rain predicted for early Monday am so Ill be out in advance to pre-treat. Kinda wish it was going to be snow, but I's takes what I's can gets...

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Does this mean you are using salt this year? I know last year you were useing all mix. What are you useing to spread with?

Geoff

4. thelawnguy

I switched to straight salt mid-season last year. Thanks in small part to Alans ribbing lol. I found I need two-thirds less than the mix for better results than 7/2 mix I was using. My material and labor cost actually went down. Less trips to the supplier too as I buy it as I need it.

I had been using a Buyers single stage but decided it was a POS and can get better results hand-casting so I sold it. A full-size V is not practical for me, and I have been esp lazy trying to find a decent 2-stage tailgate unit. So my shovel guy is now my "spreader".

Yes you read right. I can be in and out of my largest lot in under 20 minutes. Almost 2 acres roughly the shape of an "E". It would take me that long just to finish f$%&ing with the Buyers, knocking down bridging, refilling etc. My other 5 lots are 1/2 acre each or less so it works esp well on them.

If , during a snow event, I plow the hills first, spread some material at the top, by the time the flats are done the brine has completely cleared the hill so even if its still snowing another pass is usually unnecessary.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill,

I bought a used 2 stage Fisher Tailgate spreader. It handles a few small lots, and some walkways. I must say the spreader works better than we all expected.

I will highly recomend this spreder to someone who is looking for a good tailgate. It will also spread sand, if that material is needed.

The downside is a new one will cost ya 1800 for one that bolts into the bed, and 2K for one that is a hitch mount.

Geoff

6. thelawnguy

The spreader I have now cost me $15 per hour and does the job reasonably well so I may wait til spring lol ;)

A friend has an Airflo 2 stage tailgate and is real happy with it so Ive been on the lookout for a used one reasonably priced (hint hint).

7. thelawnguy

Didnt end up going out. By the time I was ready to hit the hay around 12 the temps were up in the 40s with steady rain so icing was a non-issue.

Maybe Wednesday???