1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Enough Engine? 6 cylinder

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dave in Pa., Oct 31, 2002.

1. Dave in Pa.

Dave in Pa. Junior Member

Have to look at two trucks, 84 F-250 with a 460 manual trans and a 88 F-250 with a fuel injected 6 cylinder and manual trans. want to put my 7.5 western on one of them. My use and 5 or 6 neighbors driveways. The 460 obviusly is big enough (hopefully bullet-proof) but what about the 6 banger? I guess its the 300 cubic inch that has been around forever? With FI would this be a decent plow truck? Any advice appreciated, not familiar with Fords. Thanks in advance, Dave in Pa.

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You've got to have deep pockets if you opt for the 460, I got 6 mpg with my 460 equipped F-350. I sold it after 18 months use, it was putting me in the poor house.

The 300 six has quite a bit of torque and is as you suspected, a very reliable engine. UPS has used them in their delivery trucks for eons. I think you'll be OK with the 7.5 blade and restricted service.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

My personal truck has a Chrysler Slant 6. It is an 82 Dodge half ton and it handles a 7 1/2' Western just fine. The 6 cyl. has plenty of power, especially in low loc.
    We use a 1988 F-150 at work. We use it to plow bout a 2 acre lot. The 300 6 works just fine pushing a Western 7 footer.
    Iwouldnt be afraid of the 6 cyl.
    Mark K

4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I plow with a 88 F150 7 1/2 Fisher plow and have never had a problem pushing snow with the 6 I learned long ago that to much power will get you into trouble

5. Dave in Pa.

Dave in Pa. Junior Member

Thanks!

Thanks to all info, Going to look at them tomorrow & like what you've said about the six, I think maintenace & reliability will be easier/simpler and was hoping for these answers! I'll let ya know how it turns out! Thanks again, Dave:D

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Dave,

Not exactly advised but I hung a Western 8'6" VEE plow off an 84 F150 with a 6cyl and a C-6 automatic for 3 Years.

Front end was trussed and I used 1 ton Cargo van coil springs. ( Had to put a 4" lift kit in to straighten out the tires ). Yes I'm a hopeless Ford guy. Was a great rig. As said previously there's no such thing as too much power but not having gobs of power is not always a bad thing. The truck tell's you when it's had enough..............

That one went for over 300,000 miles, had an 810 BLIZZARD on it for 2 Years, a Snowman back blade and a dump bed for summer hauling.....

Finally am selling it......7'6" BLIZZARD ..... and back blade.............. ( fresh paint on the truck )........ just need'ed a newer ride.

The 250 will be probably be low geared to go with the 6 cyl. but as PELICAN says the 460 will suck down the fuel ( Hope there are gas stations open all nite or look for another fuel tank if you buy it)

The fulie 6 got good mileage and has lots of low end torque for pushing snow. Don't be afraid to use low range.

Jerre