1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engines - 6000 vs 8100 ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Feb 11, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys, in the next few weeks im getting a 2500hd. I will be plowing, salting, and towing a landscape trailer. Its only $800 for the 8100 engine. What do you guys think I should get? I was going to get a diesel, but I figured I'll get a gasser this time, and later down the road I'll get a diesel. So... I rather have the 8100, but... Is it nessary? And how much more gas does the 8100 guzzle compared to the 6000?

Thanks guys!
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

The 6.0 is plenty capable. For all around use I think that would be my choice.

Unfortunatly, GM has the piston slap problem with these engines, not sure if the 8.1 does too. I had the 6.0L, it ticks first 30 seconds of it running then goes away. I got rid of it at 26,000 miles. It started ticking 2 weeks into owning it. GM won't do anything about it except offer you a 100,000 miles warranty on the engine itself.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ksland Gm has fixed that problem. The 2004 and up doesn't have that piston slap problem is my understanding. My 2001 has the noise but as you said GM put a 100,000 mile warranty on that engine. Mark I have the 6.0 in my truck and it has plenty of power, pulled a 30 ft house trailer all over upper Michigan this pass summer ran 70-75 mph with no problems. You will like the 6.0 if you get it, plenty of power.

Regards Mike
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It's a lot more than $800 for the 8.1 option!

First of all it's $950 for the 8.1.

You forgot to add in the required Allison transmission which is $1200.

As long as your going to go with an 8' bed, you should seriously consider the 3500 SRW. The extra rear leafs and 265 tires is a nice package for actually less money than a 2500HD.

Personally, I'd suggest you go with the 6.0

Piston slap is no longer an issue.
  5. PremierLand

from detroit

Thanks guys. The 6.0 should do it then. Also, thanks for informing me TLS, I was'nt aware that you needed the allison with the 8.1. Thanks again!
  6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I would also say get the 6.0. I have a number of friends with the 8.1's they say their MPG sucks. 9-11 mpg and worse when towing, interstate or around town makes no difference. The 6.0 should get much better mpg.
  7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Just another 2¢ worth...

I think previous threads have detailed the extra weight of the 8100. I'm guessing the Allison that's manditory with the 8100 (or Duramax) is partly to blame for some of the extra weight. Add to that a plow and such, and that extra weight reduces the truck's load capabilities pretty far.

On the other hand, my philosophy has always been... when you're buying a vehicle, BUY THE BIGGEST FRIGGIN' ENGINE THAT THEY OFFER. Hey, you only live once. Plus too and also, bragging rights associated with an 8100 are something to consider (not that I would ever stoop so low to bragging about an engine, right?).

Those not very practical reasons for a businessman to consider when deciding how to equip a truck, but if it helps you give a few "ricer boys" a look at you taillights every so often (not to mention putting a weird "W...T...F???" look on their faces), then that might make it worth getting the 8100.

Anywho, good luck whatever you decide (as we hear a chant in the background: "big block... big block... big block... big block...).
  8. PremierLand

from detroit

LMAO, BigRedBarn. You have a point. I cant stand rice. But for 3 extra grand, I cant see it happening.
  9. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

plus i love eating RICE!!!!!!!! YEAH :gunsfiring: :drinkup:
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  10. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

Both engines will get the job done, the 6.0 is based on the LS-series engines which powers the Corvette, '98 up Camaro/Firebirds and the new GTOs. My little 5.7 LS1 in my '01 Vette laid down 354 hp and 357 tq at the rear wheels with no internal engine mods, just a few bolt-ons and headers. The 6.0 heads have the same runners as LS6 heads(used in the Z06 Vettes from 01-04) with a slightly larger combustion chamber for lower compression. The coated pistons which were used from '02 up solved the piston slap problem.
  11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have the Alison Tran on my Duramax If i was to buy a Gas i would get the 8.1 just to get the Alison Trans.
  12. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Exactly what I was going to say - the Allison transmission is worth the extra money by itself.

I bought the 8.1 and I love it - much more power than the 6.0 that I test drove. I think it should be noted that I have a Honda Accord for daily driving so gas mileage was not a concern.

Good luck

-Greg Carnrick
  13. DJL

DJL Senior Member

My brother has a '02 GMC crew cab short box with the 6L gas and locking rear with 4.10 differential. With tonneau cover on he gets ~12-13MPG highway with cruise. Pulling our dual axle 20' enclosed trailer loaded with ~5k#'s he gets around ~10MPG some highway and some stop and go traffic.

I have an '04 Chevy ext. cab short box with 8L gas, Allison, locking rear, 4.10 differential. With tonneau cover on I can get anywhere from 9-10 MPG highway using the cruise. Best was 11MPG...that was only once though going across state. Pulling the same trailer I get about 8MPG.

We also have a 12k# GVWR dump trailer. Technically speaking, his 6.0 cannot (well--should not) transport the trailer fully loaded, with my 8L I can. Anyway, we are able to get 10 yards mulch in this trailer and we've had equipment as large as a Kubota L35 on the trailer. It is night and day pulling the dump trailer when fully loaded. Don't get me wrong the 6L did fine...its just the 8L really showed up when we had to deliver mulch up a steep hill with a stone drive and does a little better getting up to speed on the highways.

As far as plowing snow its hard to compare. He has a 8' western and I have a 7.5'. He has driven my truck and he agrees with me that the constant shifting feels much smoother in my truck than it does in his. Also, his trans temp will run a little on the warmer side. I'm by no means a truck guru---far from it---but I figured I'd chime in having the two trucks do almost identical things. Hope it helps some.
  14. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I don't think you will be dissapointed either way. I have a 6.0 and it's pushed or pulled anything I asked it to. Haven't found a speed limit I couldn't brake(even with about 13 0r 14 klb in tow with a sander in the back)Although, that being said, I too believe that if the 6.0 is enough than more would be better.The only drawback I hear about upgraing to the allison is that it is slower in reverse.As far as the cold start ticking. I have had a few half tons with the 5.3 that have had that noise. Sounds like a duramax at cold start but after many hard abusive miles no problems. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with these engines, the noise just scares people I guess. Probably some of the best engines g.m. has offered.Oh yeah about the ricer thing, you wouldn't believe the looks you get when you pull out and blow one away with a dump truck or when someone says hey, bet you can't turn those duallys,.... what was this thread about again?
  15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Most guys comment on the 8.1 getting about the same millage as 6.0's. Probably dont need the added power but more is better plus you get the allison. Is it worth the added $$$? Well a 6.0 would do what you need it to do fine I bet.....comes down to a want thing I think. The 4l80e is a pretty good trans although it isnt as good as an allison.
  16. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i just got a 2005 chevy silverado 2500HD 6.0 i have 200 miles on it and it is getting 10 mpg now hope when the eng is broken in it will go up :dizzy:
  17. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I don't even check the mpg on my 6.0. Just fill it up when it's empty. payup I do have to say though when I go to our house in Northern Michigan its not real bad mpg on the xway. It's a great engine for pushing or hauling IMOP.

Regards Mike
  18. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I have a regular cab 2004 2500HD with the 6.0. Gas mileage average arond 11.5 to 12. As far as blowing somebodies doors off with either the 6.0 or the 8.1 I dont think your going to have much luck. Neither one was built for quickness and the truck is far to heavy to do any thing to nifty. Towing yes ,racing NO.Go with the 6.0 and save the three grand for your fuel bill this summer.You will need it. :p
  19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hate to bust them on you guys but... I'm averaging 30% highway and averaging 21.8 MPG with the Duramax. :) It only has 420 miles on it, so I'm going easy on it. I'm shocked! They all say they get better when broken in. I'm learning about all the crap that goes with them... Fuel filters , priming, additives etc. I figure with the millage gains we pay for it with a the aggravation.... Nothing is free!!!!
  20. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I put a K and N air filter in my diesel and use diesel conditioner and I was getting 27-32 on the highway.