1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine woes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TomatoRedGMC, Oct 22, 2003.

1. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

hey guys...need some advice.

long story short, i let a relative borrow my truck....lower coolant hose sprung a leak, he ran it dry. and ran it for a while....i had lucas added to the engine, and things seemed ok....except for the large amounts of pure white smoke from the drivers side exhaust. when idleing, it would smoke more....when running down the road, no smoke, and i had all my power. I took the heads off. #5 cylinder had some coolant/oil sludge on the top when i removed the head....i am going to have the heads tested, but was wondering if that might have came from the water jacket, or poosibly a cracked block....it seemed to have all the power when cruisin, but once you sat and idled it all went to crap. the head gaskets seemed to be all there, no burns, etc...any suggestions before i look for a new motor?
    thanks....Wally

2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

You could bolt your heads back on after there tested, no push rods and do a pressure check of each cylinder. That's if you can have a gage installed after you disconnect the air to charge the cylinder. If rings were too bad this might not tell you anything. Just an idea. Good luck, Rick............

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Have the heads checked out,both for cracks,and for to make sure the gasket surface is flat and not warped.If they come back OK,i'd bolt it up and try it.A lot of times the heads will warp,and the gasket will not seal.It will not show up when you try and "read" the old gasket looking for a crack or burnt fire ring.

I doubt it cracked the block.It's pretty rare

4. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

yeah, i can give that a try....my dad does HVAC work, I'm sure he has pressure testing equipment around. I might just make sure the heads are ok, put em back on run it till it dies......wish i could get a 350 4bolt, or a 400, but those are slim pickins.....thanks for the advice....i'm still learnin.............Wally

5. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

thanks chris.....didn't catch ya in time before my last post......I figured the block was 'probably' ok, cause the motor still felt strong until it 'built up' seemed once that crap was blown out of the cylinder, she ran fine....even if the heads are warped or cracked, could i put a set of 350 heads on that i know are good? they came of a 350 i spun the main bearings on......

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could use the other heads if you want,as long as the chamber size is close,or you may run into compression problems.

7. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

Some pics

wyldman, can i e-mail you a couple pics, for your expert opinion? they are just a little to big for here....

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sure,e-mail them on over.Not sure if the Plowsite e-mail is working,a few people said it isn't.Send them to me direct,I'll PM you the address.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here's the pics he sent me.

head1.jpg

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Block.

block1.jpg

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can see in the first pic of the cylinder head that the coolant was squeezing by into the cylinder,at the top left.Second pic you can see the same at the bottom left.

12. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

bad head

guys....was cleaning the heads and found a real problem....big 'ol crack by the valve.....so, my question is, can i replace one head with a reconditioned one from the parts store, or should i replace them in pairs? the ones i found are 150 bucks with a core.
    thanks.

Walt

crack.jpg

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can replace just one,they are interchangeable side to side.

If it was me though,I'd do both together,especially when they have been overheated,and they are that cheap.Who knows,maybe the other one has a crack as well.It also could also be warped due to the overheating.

14. tileman

tileman Member

Sorry to hear you motor got overheated. This is real tough on a small block chey motor. This has been a problem on them for sometime. GM changed something around the valve area sometime ago.
    The heads look good until you clean them , small hair line cracks show up all over or on just one cylinder. This is more prevalent on motors that have hundred thousand miles or more.
    Yes change both heads now save your self some work later. The chance of the other head being good are not real good. Fresh heads she will be good for another hundred thousand miles.

Tileman

15. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

Yeah, i was pretty PO'ed at the guy who was running it.....lucky for him, i'm not a violent dude.....but he got an earfull.......

yeah, i figured as much.....i found a set of heads from a 305 that has been sitting for a while.....motor never ran, but heads have been tested and cleaned and they're good......gonna put the valvetrain back together this weekend and bolt em up, we'll see how it goes......new set of seals are only 24 bucks, so i figured might as well beings it's already apart....I'll let y'all know!!!

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 305 heads have smaller chambers so it will raise the compression about 1 point.They also have smaller valves,and lighter valve springs.They will work,but you may run into some problems.

17. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

sorry wyldman....you must be under the impression the motor is a 350.....it is a 305, from an 81 Trans Am. so i don't think compression is going to be an issue......the numbers on the block/bell housing start with 13, and i know a 350's SN's start with 3-something...so i should be ok, right? 305 heads on a 305 block........sorry if i might has mislead ya!! :eek:

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

:eek:

Oops,my bad,I thought it was a 350.

19. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

vortec heads

I know money is always an issue, but it sure would be cool to put on a set of vortec heads....I have found on ebay that the 305 vortec heads seem to be more reasonable.

If you do come across a set, you'll need an intake too! I am always on the quest for more power...

20. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

Uh-Huh

Vortec heads would be sweet, but like you say, money is the issue....although, i have enjoyed this venture and have learned alot about the internal workings of an engine. I can't believe how much valves are!!! :angry: you can buy re-man heads for about the same price!! oh well.... let you guys know the middle of the week how it went, don't think i'll get it done this weekend...lotsa stuff to do.

:drinkup: Happy Halloween!!!