1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine Weirdness

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79scotts, Mar 29, 2002.

1. 79scotts

79scotts Junior Member

I have a 79 k-10 with a 350. Under medium and heavy acceleration at lower speeds I get a strange vibration from the engine as if there was a cylinder not firing correctly. I have little or no blowby so I don't think that it is a compression problem.
    I have also changed plug wires, plugs, cap, and rotor.
    I still can't locate the cause of this problem. I suspect that I may have a slightly bent pushrod due to a formerly sticking lifter but that's only a semi-educated guess. If anyone has any ideas please email me or reply to this post.

Thanks Gang,
    -Rob

2. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

A slightly bent push rod would not cause a noticeable vibration.

Is it a manual or automatic?

What is the RPM at the time it gives you a vibration?

3. 79scotts

79scotts Junior Member

Here's the latest. I have checked all the plugs and found that the #6 cylinder is the culprit. I have checked compression and spark and they are fine. Actually the compression in #6 was 180lbs, about 20lbs higher than the rest. I have also changed the plug and it didn't have any effect. What is going on here?

4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

What made the #6 plug the culprit? Fowled with oil, or had it been struck by something? Give us a little history about the engine and truck's drivetrain. Something easy is also check that you don't have any burnt plug wires. Give us a little more to work with and we'll figure it out.

Marcus