1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine time!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Jul 20, 2010.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Well 2 weeks ago the transmission went in the truck so I had a 4l80e put in it. Well last saturday going to countryfest 2 miles before I was at the fairgrounds the engine started KNOCKING AND SQUEALING! I pulled over looked down it was holding 40lbs of pressure and got out and it was full of oil. By the sounds of it, it sounded like it spun a bearing sure enough it did. On my search for an engine I found a fellow with a 400hp crate engine. It is a gm performance engine with less then 5,000 miles on it. Sure enough I bought it. He gave me all the paperwork for the engine. It is a 350 5.7 engine on steroids. All I needed to do was swap out my heads and intake because mine has the vortec engine. I swapped it over and it is ready to be dropped in. I have a transmission shift kit comming right now for it. I basically am making the engine look as close to stock as possible so people dont know :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

video of bad engine
    [​IMG]

3. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

Engine sounds like an Old Girl i know, :D

Looks good when you going to be done?

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

well engine is going in tonight but the dam solenoid on starter broke so it wont be in till morning. truck only has 143k on it lol

5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Wow! Talk about some bad luck. Atleast it happen now and not during a winter storm :)

6. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

wow that is not very many miles on the old engine, how was the oil and stuff in it?

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

had 40lbs of pressure and full on the stick

8. Squires

Squires Senior Member

you sure someone didn't just swap in a 6.5 NA? :jester:
    Sounds a lot like my first truck, 94 1500 6.5 haha

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Was it losing coolant?

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

nah head and intake gaskets were all good

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

actually the thought of putting a 6.5 came across my mind but i thought screw it im gonna sell the ford for one i wont even dare do it lol

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What was the p/n of the crate that you bought?

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

i would have to pull the paperwork out and let you know.

14. joey7599

joey7599 Senior Member
    from MA

sounds like a big project to me