1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine tick at acceleration

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by T&M SnowMan, Oct 7, 2009.

1. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

anyone have this issue?..I have an 06 F250 5.4 with a power programmer and cool air kit. I just noticed about a week ago I have a modest ping or tick at acceleration, I dont think it would be my pipe coming off exhaust manifold maybe with a hole in it, or if it might be the programmer telling the engine to run leaner then it should, but it wasnt there a few weeks ago...like I said, its not loud, just enough to notice when my radio isnt on, unless its always been there and Ive just never noticed it until now, does anyones truck do what Im TRYING to explain?? Is this minor noise normal, or am I really hearing something? Any ideas or thoughts would be great guys, thanks ahead of time!

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like an exhaust leak. Check the exhaust manifolds for cracks or broken bolts... 5.4's are famous for that.

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

wait does it do it under hard acceleration or going up a hill and you put your foot in it?

4. T&M SnowMan

it does it when Im going slow (while pressing accelerator) and any speed above. Noticed it last week hauling a trailer (light load) on the MA Pike. Heard a ticking of some sorts, going up hill, down hill, as long as I was giving about 1/4 throttle or more. Otherwise it sounded normal at idle. I thought initially it might have been the rockers knocking for some reason, but it would do that at idle as well...so I figured after that maybe the pipe to the exhaust manifold, or the exhaust manifold itself, but figured that would also be an "all the time" noise...so Im really looking for someone else experiencing this for some insight, thanks for the insight I have already recieved guys

5. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

5.4L "ticking sound"

the noise you are hearing is an exhaust leak. This is a problem on almost every 5.4l out there. what you need to do is re torque your exhaust manifold bolts to the heads. this problem starts out very minor where you can hardly hear it and progressively gets worse to the stage in which your most likely at.

6. T&M SnowMan

ok, I'll take a look at the exhaust manifolds and see if I have any loose bolts, thanks for the heads up, I didnt know 5.4s were prone to this problem....thanks

7. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

yea my truck only had 41,000 miles on it and it started doing the dame thing you are experiencing

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Ya it sounds like a manifold. the 5.4's were very prone to it. I did the ones on my truck at 130k. If the truck was pinging it would sound like marbles in the engine basically.

9. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

it could be a stripped plug our's did that for about a week till it blew 2 of them out

10. T&M SnowMan

I would imagine if it was one of the plugs being stripped that the engine would be running rough, or idling rough, it isnt doing anything besides making the annoying ticking, pinging, whatever the hell it is..!!!..When I get some time after work tomorrow I will take a look at the bolts for the exhaust manifold and hopefully find loose bolts so I can tighten them up and put this problem to bed...thanks again guys for all your input, I will let you all know what it was when I get to the root of it.

11. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Strange, my 5.4 has done this since I got it, my dad's expedition has done this since he got it 150K ago, and my mustang does it, and buddys lincoln has done it since new too, I had always heard so I always figured it was characteristic of the mod motors.

12. T&M SnowMan

I havent heard any of this before, but I never had a reason to look into it and ask any questions either...wonder what the deal is with these things...anyhow, I will be taking care of it this afternoon before it gets any worse..its driving me crazy...my 06 F250 only has 38,000 on it, so I guess Im a little ahead of schedule..ha...better to find it now then in the dead of cold winter banging my knuckles off of every $*%#@&* thing...!!!

13. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

My '04 5.4 had this problem at 38,000 miles so of course they didn't cover it. The dealer wanted $600 to replace the passenger side exhaust manifold studs, and it would have been close too to $2000 if they had to take the head off for machining. The problem is the factory uses steel studs in the aluminum heads and the heat and cool at different rate so when they rust the studs just break under pressure. I fixed mine by taking all the studs out with an extractor and replacing the manifolds with stainless steel headers and then used ARP stainless bolts (not studs).