1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine temp??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Dec 11, 2007.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I've got a 97 Dodge 1500 with a 7.5' Western straight blade. Here's my issue: I normally drive with my plow angled to the right almost all the way, but my temperature on my tach is getting up to about 220-230 degrees (highest temp shown is 260 degrees on my tachometer) while running at full warmed up temperature. Is this too high for my engin's sake? Would a simple radiator flush keep the running temp a little lower? I've never done a radiator flush on my truck i've had it since 130000 miles and I'm at 157000 now.... Thanks for any suggestions, David-
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Swing it to the left as your air intake is on the right;)

Lower the blade,
    Do not travel with it up all of the way.
    If you can see it (the plow) it is to high

Slow down a little.

A flush might be a good idea.
    Install a new 195 thermostat.

A lot of the 1500's have a smaller 2 core radiator.
    a new 4 core would be nice...but $$

The air dam makes no difference. It's not for cooling.
    a mfg is not going to sell a truck that needs a air dam to keep it from over heating.
    My truck with out it does not over heat and nether do any of the other thousands of trucks with out it.

Take it easy and don't run her over 220 for to long.
  3. Dartsport

Dartsport Junior Member

Dodge makes a snow plow clutch fan, Part # 52028837. I installed one on my 1995 Ram 1500. When the tmeperature gets up around 220* to 230*, the clutch fan locks up more (it will start to roar) pulling more air thru the radiator. Temperature starts to drop about a 1/2 minute later. Around 195* , the clutch fan goes back to normal (gets quieter) pulling less air thru the radiator.
    I was just talking to my Dodge dealer this afternoon about the clutch fan. I sold my 1995 Dodge last year. I put a Curtis 3000 plow on last year, on my 19997 Dodge Ram 1500. It gets warm now also. When I bought this clutch fan in December of 2003, it cost $169.00, now it costs $219.00 . I am ordering a Severe Duty clutch fan from Napa, today, Part # 272306. Price should be around $100.00. I won't know for sure, untill it comes in tomorrow. I own an auto repair business. I hope it works as good as the Dodge clutch fan , did on my old truck........
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  4. GravelMan

GravelMan Junior Member

I just got my first plow (Western 6.5 poly) mounted this morning on my 2005 dodge 1500 w/hemi. I had to run to town so i thought it would be nifty to take the plow, but I only got 5miles down the road and my high temp alarm went off!! I opened the hood to see if any cables got snarled in the fan but it was turning nicely. After idling the temp was dropping nicely, so I went slow there and back. My plow dealer said hed never heard issues with high temp, so he thought my fan was failing. I unhooked the plow and the temp never went back up.

Is this a common problem? I assume the problem is air isnt getting through the rad as fast? Some crazy airflow turbulence caused by the plow or the tower?

Im on the Fire Dept so I hope I can get this solved before I have to drive crazy to a fire or accident! :yow!:
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:That's proudly one of the best tips for the 1500 crowd other than getting a 4 core radiator:drinkup: to keep things cool;)
  6. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Back when I had a straight blade on a ford (this truck would overheat if you got near it with a cup of coffee) I had the best luck traveling with the blade straight and lifted only 2-3" off the ground. if you angle it it pushes all the air away from the radiator....on a 1/2 ton, 2 core, air is your best friend...:nod:
  7. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

:redbounce Well thanks for all the tipe, I will look into the fan clutch! And will turn my plow, I remember playing with it to see which way ran cooler when I first got it and I was thinking angled to the right it ran coolest, but I'll try left. I normally do not run very fast, 55 at the absolute most (on nice SMOOTH roads). Thanks for all the info guys, David-
  8. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Well I angled the plow all the way left and that made in improvment in keeping the temp down; Only ran at about 210-215 instead of the 220-230!