1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brian b, Nov 25, 2001.

1. brian b

brian b Junior Member
    from ohio

i have a 1981 chevy 4-wheel drive 1/2 ton ,looking into putting a small block 350 into my truck.The engine is from a 1973 monte carlo .I was wondering if i i should look out for any installation problems ,such as the exhaust manifolds .There is a manual 3 speed in the truck now ,will there b any problem of the engine and tranny matching up .Thanks
    brian

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure of the manifold configuration, I'm pretty sure it will clear everything but don't know if it will bolt up to your truck's exhaust. What engine is coming out of the truck? If it's another V-8, you can swap the manifolds before you install the engine in the event the exhaust manifolds are different.

You HEI ignition for the '81 truck is all contained in the distributor, so that can be switched onto the '73 engine (if it's still running the old points ignition)

Presumably the engine had an automatic behind it in the Monte. Automatics use a flexplate, manuals a flywheel so you'll have to get a suitable flywheel to make it all work.

Otherwise, Chevy parts interchangability should work to your advantage - and there's enough room in the engine bay of a full-size pickup you shouldn't run into any clearance problems.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Brian,in 79,Im pretty sure,GM moved the dipstick from the drivers side,to the pass side,this usually makes installing the exhaust manifolds impossible,then you need headers,or late model manifolds,and to adapt the Y pipe.Its not a big hurdle,but one you should be aware of.There may be flywheel/sarter differences,but just swap the entire truck setup to the monte motor,and you'be fine.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Brian,in 79,Im pretty sure,GM moved the dipstick from the drivers side,to the pass side,this usually makes installing the exhaust manifolds impossible,then you need headers,or late model manifolds,and to adapt the Y pipe.Its not a big hurdle,but one you should be aware of.There may be flywheel/sarter differences,but just swap the entire truck setup to the monte motor,and you'be fine.Good luck.