1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hfdresq1, Nov 8, 2001.

1. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

i have an 85 chevy k10 and the engine is shot. what is the newest engine i can replace it with without having to modify too many things such as computer etc.?
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

What all is shot on it? You can get a rebuilt motor that will drop right in from Napa, or shucks for under a thousand bucks (assuming small block V8) or go for a crate motor if you want more power, or rebuild your current one. What do you have now?

3. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

i currently have a 350/400 under the hood. the number 3 cylinder is shot and the cylinder walls are already thin from being a 400 that it is pointless to rebuild. i am planning on building my own but i don't have the time right now to do it quickly and i need the services of my truck. am planning on getting an engine at a salvage auction but i didn't know how new an engine i could get. my truck is not set up for a computer or anything else high tech and i don't want to make it so that it is.
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know a whole lot about the "newer" stuff (hey, mine's a '75 so anything in the mid-eighties and up is "newer"! ;) ) but I think that around '86/'87 is when the injected/computerized stuff began taking over. So a good cutoff point would likely be around '85 - '86.

Others here are a lot more knowledgable than me on this subject - hopefully one of them can post some better info!
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You can use a 350 up to the late 90's, just swap your old carb manifold and HEI distributor onto it, or get the ECM and wiring harness with it.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill is right,but there's a lot more to it than that.If you swap the old carb/manifold,onto an 87 or newer engine,you will have to grind heavily on the intake,and it still might not fit.You can use an 87 camaro LG4 305 intake,this will work with the centerbolt valve covers,and heads.Centerbolt engines started in 1987,so any newer will have centerbolt heads.The 86's and newer had one piece rear man seals,so if you go with one,you wil need a new flywheel,and possibly a starter motor,since the centerbolt engines are only available with 153 tooth flywheel.Personally,if you are going to keep the truck a while,Id go with a centerbolt engine,they are very tight,oil wise,all the oil leaks were fixed on them,the old ones leak out the valve covers,and 2 piece rear seals,these dont.One other thing,most centerbolt engines do not have a fuel pump mounting boss,since they use EFI,so you'll need an electric fuel pump too.Accesory may need to be modified to fit as well.This is a simple swap,but there are a lot of details that need to be addresed,Im sure I am forgetting some of them as well.You know GM performance makes an intake/carb for the Vortec 5700 now too,this would get you about 275-300hp with a 4 barrel,dual exhaust,and a good HEI.