1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SNOBGON, Aug 22, 2003.

1. SNOBGON

SNOBGON Junior Member

I am trying to decide wether to go with the GM Vortec 5.3 litre or the 6.0 litre. What woul you go with and why?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

What are you swapping this into? We need some details on the vehicle it's going in.

They are both good motors.Some of the 5.3L's can be noisy,and some (not most) of the 6.0L's are pretty gutless.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

For a motor swap into an older truck? Niether.

If I bought a new pick up truck? I wouldnt have a choice between the 2. You cant get a 5.3 in a 2500 or up and I wouldnt buy a 1500. You cant get bigger than a 5.3 in a 1500 and the lowest you can get is a 6.0 in the biger trucks.

What will this truck be used for? And what is it? Need more info :)

Edit: you must type quicker than me :nod:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's going into an older truck,then I wouldn't choose one of those either.

A 350 TBI,or Vortec would be my first choice for power,reliability,and driveability.

An older 350 or 400 4 bbl would be my non-EFI choice.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

John. You diesel guys re something else:eek: I love it :drinkup: I have wanted a diesel forever but, my time will come soon. BTW what size plow for that s-10 ???? 9 footer ;)

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

How did I know John would say that :D

8. SNOBGON

SNOBGON Junior Member

The engine will be going into a 1982 Full Size Jeep Cherokee. The Jeep is mainly used to plow snow and occasionally playing in the mud. The tranny will be a 4L60E and the transfer case will be a NP231.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

350 TBI would be an easier swap.Much easier to procure,and a very small neat wiring harness.