1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine swap

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SCSIndust, Jul 17, 2003.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Quick question for you all:

Will a 1986 bronco w/302 directly swap into a 1988 bronco w/302, without any major changes? The 1988 has a serp belt, as the 86 has 4/5 v-belts. Other than that, they look the same. The air cleaner is a little different, but that is minor. We are looking at this 1988 bronco for plowing, since our 86 won't last too much longer. the 88 has a strange tapping noise, which we think is connected to the fact that the crank pully wiggles - crank bearings bad? At any rate, if they swap out easily, I'll buy this truck. It is really cheap. If It's not a easy swap, I'd be more leary about buying it, since I don't know what that noise is. It isn't cheap because of that like you'd all expect. Just a body shop trying to recoup it's losses on a customer never picking up their truck. Thanks!!!!!!!!

JAmie

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will swap easily.Use the intake and fuel injection stuff off the 88,it's a much better system.

Use all the accessories and as much as possible off the 88,so basically your just using the bare engine in the new truck.

You might want to spend a bit of time diagnosing the engine,maybe it's an accessory making the noise,or something simple that doesn't require an engine change.

3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Thanks for such a quick reply! I was trying to get an idea of what I was getting myself into. I just want to know that if this engine craps out, the other bronco engine can be swapped. I'd hate to be stuck with a truck that I can't use, especially if I had just bought it. The crank pulley shakes excessively, moreso than my 86, which makes me wonder if that is what the noise is. The noise really sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the engine... any ideas? You seem to know your stuff.

Jamie

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It could be just about anything.

First step is to determine if it's internal or external to the engine.Yank the belt off,and run it.If the noise disappears the engine is fine.You may have an alt,air pump,or accessory making the noise.If it still makes noise,then I'd do an oil pressure test next.

If the oil pressure is low,then it's most likely rod or main bearings.If it's OK,then it could be piston slap,a wrist pin,or something else internal.If it is interna;,yank the motor and find out what it is,so you can decide if it's better to repair the original motor or swap in your other one.

5. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Well,

It was the crank bearings. They are so shot! Not only that, but some of the o-rings are bad too. That thing blew so much smoke, it wasn't even funny. We went up to PA and bought a 1991 302 for $450 from a junk yard. So at least this has a little bit of a warranty. We walked away with a good running Bronco for a little over 1 grand! (after the engine swap). It will make a great plow truck. Thanks for your help. Just thought I'd let you know what is going on.

Jamie