1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine Swap Issues: 74' 350 into an 84' c10

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KaZe, Feb 10, 2002.

1. KaZe

KaZe Junior Member

i have a 1984 chevy c10 that i am attempting to put in a 1974 350 into it. i have run across some difficulties unfortunatly, which i seek some advice on:

i can not get a spark whatsoever.
    -i have tried unplugging the computer and starting it without it, still no spark
    -power goes into the distributor, but does not go to the spark plug, bad coil? but the thing is the distributor was working when i pulled the motor out of my previous vehicle. . .

also, i have installed headers, but the spark plug wires are extremely close to the exhasut leading from the headers, is there anyways i could sheild these wires, otherwise i fear they will melt under the extreme heat, being they are almost resting on the pipes leading from the headers

all advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated
  2. blzn74

blzn74 Member

I have a 74 block in my 1981 4x4, As far as no spark,Im not sure how to answer that except have you double checked your install? Wiring, grounds , bat, ext... checked your Distributor?Cap and Rotor? AS far as your wiring goes, your wires shouldnt melt unless they are touching your exaust header surface, mine are right next to the header and I have run them for a long time now and my wires arent showing any signs of melt down, I was told that spark plugs wires can withstand alot of heat, the current going through the wires is probley hotter than what your headers put out. IMO
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Does that '74 engine have the original style ignition system? If so, it's probably points and condenser, starting in '75 GM went to the HEI (High Energy Ignition) electronic ignition. Don't know about computers in those trucks (I refuse to let those things within 50 feet of mine! :p ) however if it's got anything to do with the ignition circuit the truck isn't going to run without it. What about using the ignition that came off the '84 engine?

Regarding plug wires & the headers, wires made these days can withstand a lot of heat, however a header installation may require some custom fabbing or fitting of ignition wires. I ran them on the 350 in my '75 truck for a few years and had a mixed bag of spark plug boots: straight, 90 degree and a couple of 45 degree plug ends to keep things as far from the pipes as possible. Also important is securing the wires properly so they can't move around and end up laying against the header pipe during operation.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I assume your using the 84 ignition sytem, If you have power there,is the tach hooked up?If so,unhook it,if its shorting out,it will kill the spark.It must be something simple if it worked before you took it out,this sounds stupid,but the distributor is turning,right?The coil could be bad,the module could be bad,or the distributor pickup could be bad.it should run with the 4 wire connector to the computer unplugged,but in back timing mode only.