1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine surging

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by asphalter1, Mar 9, 2003.

1. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

On my 94 f250 5.8 efi heres the problem, when i start it it idles fine but after about a minuite it starts to surge , if i put it into gear the rpms come up and will bang hard into gear.Thanks
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

A surging Ford vehicle usually means a bad IAC solenoid. Idle Air Control. They go bad quite often. Before going and changing it, wait for some more replies. Mike
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

mike, thats what i was thinking also.

it could be the iac solenoid.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Actually the IAC very rarely goes bad on most Fords.It can get a little sticky,or dirty but they rarely fail.

Check the basics first,like an ignition miss,vacuum leaks (very common to see cracked plastic hoses around the intake plenum),fuel pressure,etc.

Next step would be to pull any codes and see what you get.Post them here and we'll help you through it.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

usually you can remove and clean the iac but your better off just replacing it