1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine surging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by S. Olson, Apr 16, 2002.

1. S. Olson

S. Olson Junior Member
    from Idaho

I have a 1986 Chevy Custom Deluxe with a 305 V8 in it. This problem is driving me crazy, I have rebuilt the carb (Quadrajet) replaced all spark plug wires, dist cap, rotor cap, ESC sensor, spark plugs, fuel filter, Also flow checked fuel pump 16+ oz in 15 sec. Fuel pump pressure 7-8 psi Timing is set at 4 degrees before TDC, checked vacum advance, Also checked EGR valve.
    Now that I have let you have some info. Here is what the engine does. when You are pulling up hill it feels like you have a tank of water in the back of the truck. But it doesn't do this all the time. Engine pings some of the time but not all the time. Almost acts like the engine is starving for fuel or the advance is being ********.
    Do you think that it is electrical or fuel or emission controls. Any Ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

I would check for a vacuum leak on the vacuum advance.

3. S. Olson

S. Olson Junior Member
    from Idaho

I have just replaced all the vacume lines and was standing there listening. Something in the ECM is telling the engine to ******. I was trying to find the MAP senser and also the O2 senser.

4. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

the O2 sensor may be on the exhaust manifold and the map sensor....well i could tell ya if it was a ford