1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine stumble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cutntrim, Oct 14, 2003.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Took delivery of my new '04 GMC 2500HD a couple weeks back. I noticed a little "stumble" from the engine while idling in park, or in gear with my foot on the break. I figured it was just a symptom of the break-in period for the engine, but it's still noticeable and I've got 1100kms on it now.

Took it to GM today and the ran a diagnostic test which produced no trouble codes, there are no service bulletins about this problem, and their inspection under the hood yielded no visible problems either. Whether or not they actually got in the vehicle, started it up, and noticed the stumble - I can't say. I picked it up after the mechanics had all gone home for the night.

It doesn't feel like a major issue, and is somewhat intermittant when it occurs but it is a brand new $40K truck so I want to be sure nothing's wrong. Has anyone had this type of stumble/misfire? from their GM's? Any clues as to what it could be?

For now I'll just continue to monitor it and if it starts affecting performance/drivability I'll return to the dealer.

Oh, forgot to mention it's the 6.0L gasser.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I cannot add anything to this, but I would like to tell you to make sure that you document each time you notice it. My dad did that with a few problems, in addtion to having it in for service and making mention of it. Be sure they write it down as a recurring problem, he was able to get a few parts replaced out of warranty, due to the fact that he had commented about them before and all they said "thats normal", so he continued to document the many times he had the problem, and went in with his record of trouble, and the copeies of his old service tickets. they kept it two days, and went over everything to make sure nothing else needed to be replaced, they even changed his oil just for the inconvenience of keeping it that long (oil needed changing, but was only at like 2700miles)

Good luck with your new truck!!
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

We see it sometimes after we service a vehicle and disconnect the battery.If they don "relearn" just right,they will hesitate or stall sometimes.Sometimes you will get this on a new vehicle depending on how it was driven before delivery.

Take the battery cable off,and turn on the parking lights for a few mins.Reconnect the battery,and start truck.Let it idle for 10-15 mins,with nothing else on.Now turn on the headlights,and the AC and let it idle again for 10 mins or so.Now drive it for 15-20 mins gently to let it complete the relearn.It may solve your problem.
  4. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

John-I will definately be keeping a detailed log of any service concerns, thanks.

Chris-I'll give that a try. It's only a very minor stumble/hesitation at this point, and intermittant at that-but I'd prefer no stumble at all. Thanks.