1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by StangDude, Jul 10, 2002.

1. StangDude

StangDude Junior Member
    from MA

My 1985 Chevy 4x4 has been having an oil pressure problem for the last couple of months and based on what I have read and heard from people in the know, the bearings are worn and will need to be replaced. Once warmed up, oil pressure drops to zero when at idle. Goes to 30 PSI during normal driving conditions. this being the case, I'm not sure which way I should go for a replacement motor. Should I get a rebuilt replacement 350 long block and simply R&R things like accesories, AC, intake, carb etc... Or should I use this opportunity to replace with aftermarket pieces like Edelbrock intake and carb etc? Has anyone gone through this process that can give some advice and maybe point me to a reputable crate engine company where I can get a good price on a replacement engine. The truck is in great shape and I plan on keeping it for a while as my second vehicle.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Well as far as replacement engines I would recomend calling a few of your Chevy or GM dealers and get prices on their "new"Goodwrench crate engines. You will have to re-use your intake & exhaust manifolds with just about any replacement engine that's out there, so now would be the time to be doing any upgrades. Jasper has "very" good replacement engines too, but are all remanufactured not "new". Both of these do come with all the tinware.(valve covers; oil pan;timing cover) And a 3 year 50 or 75,000 mile warranty. Try these links for more information.
    jasperengines.com
    gmgoodwrench.com
    Hope that this is somewhat of a help to you. John

3. patman56

patman56 Junior Member

Another option is to rebuild your current engine. If you have a good machine shop in your area you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

I rebuilt the engine in my Astro Van for around $1800. I upped the HP from 160 to 220. I put in High compression pistons, a RV cam, high volume oil pump, new chip in the computer, resized the rods and balanced the crank. The thing runs nice and smooth. It also has a bunch more power.

I also added an oil cooler to keep the heat out of the engine.

4. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

new engine

you can buy a brand new chevy long block with oil pan, valve covers and front timing chain cover from your local GM dealer for about $1,300.

Their pre 1986 crate motor is a 4 bolt main, two piece rear main seal style, with mechanical fuel pump, just like your engine. comes with a 50K mile warranty too. No core charge for the old block either.

for that amount of money, that is the way to go!

5. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I agree with tommy10plows go with gm and forget all bull. I'd only rebuild if you want something really special in performance. But machine work alone will cost you over a grand.

6. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

go gm you get a WARRENTY!!! most machine shop don't offer 3 year 50,000 mile warrenty if you want more power get the ZZ3 motor I believe that is what it is called put a decent carb and intake/exhaust setup 400 horse is not out of the ordinary

the reason I go rebuild for my stuff is I do it myself for about $375 for a complete 350 and if something goes wrong I know who to blame