1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine replacement

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Land Design, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Land Design

Land Design Member

question for ya........

i have a v box that hasn't run right from day one (almost a year) its a warren 2yd capacity with a 10.5 briggs. it worked last season for a total of 15 hours. I spent almost 3x that at a local shop attempting to work on and fix the briggs. The equipment shop i bought it from is out of the picture and won't help/ doesn't care. last year i posted about a lawsuit towards them, after all this its become clear its going to be eaiser to sell to someone who is alot more mechanically inclined then me or possibly get a new engine. The question is.........how hard is this to do? I read recent post about going from gas to electric but don't recall a direct way to do it, is it easy? expensive?. What about a new engine.........will i most likely face the same problems with a new briggs (won't start, shuts off in middle of run, throttle doens't work right)? My ideal engine would be a honda like i have on my landa powerwasher, runs perfect..................but told won't start well in the cold. Is there such a thing or way to plug these engines in to start? keeping them warm like a diesel? So thats the basic idea of the problem i face , what do you think or what suggestions do you have. Thanks in advance!

Land design
    :confused:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As far as Honda not starting in the cold --- I have an 11hp Honda on my sander. It started all last winter when it got to 25F below.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had a Briggs on my sander that never gave me much trouble after I worked the annual bugs out. Have you considered taking it to a lawn mower shop? The rates are a bit more reasonable and it's a motor they're familiar with.

I would suspect your carburetor is gummed up and needs a good cleaning along with the fuel tank.

4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I would also think it is the carb maybe some dirt or fuel pump diaphragm. Or maybe there is rust on the flywheel causing poor or erratic spark.

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Brigg's Engines

Land Design call B&S dirrect, you should have an 800 number in your engine owners manual.
    Your power unit should be under warranty if its a year old.
    They will direct you the a servicing dealer that should be able to help you out.
    Just have all your paperwork ready for them when you call.
    Most of the equipment dealers do not do small engine repair and some times try and make things worst.
    :rolleyes: John.......

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would do like Pelican said and bring it to a small engine repair place.Basically they are the same size of a big ridding mower.As far as changing it from gas to electric you will be getting involved with getting different gears for the diferent ratio you will have from doing that.

7. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

New Engine

Bring it to me, I have 5 years behind the bench of a small engine shop. I can fix your engine, anything! Call me 248-939-1061 (Mike)