1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmgbo, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

How hard would it be to switch from a 4.3 v6 to a5.7 v8 in a 1997 1500. What would i need?

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Best bet would be to get a donor truck.
    You will need:
    Complete Engine
    Exhaust
    Motor mounts
    Radiator(possibly)
    Core support(possibly)
    Engine harness
    Computer
    Torsion bars(possibly)
    Fan shroud
    etc.

3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

donor trucks work great go to your local junk yard and see if they have any that have all the parts in good shape that you are looking for

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I know many are thinking it so I will be the first to ask. :)

Why?

5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

my guess would be he needs more power or his 4.3 is shot

6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

20 years ago or so, it would be feasible to do it for more power. Today sell the truck and buy another. Computers and smog inspections killed that thinking. I can only imagine the nightmare of paperwork and cost to get it past inspection these days.

If the motor is shot, gotta look at how much the truck is worth. Even replacing the same motor is still hard to justify these days. But if you have the time and that is your thing ...............

7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

my friends has a 94 blazer and he ruined his engine when he sucked in some muddy water he got a brand new GM 350 for $1600 the truck is worth probly 5 or 6 thousand and it wasnt that much work to replace.

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Was it the same engine that came in the truck from Chevy? If it is worth it to him then go for it. That I can see. Just upgrading motors these days is insane. Computers, fuel pumps in tank etc......... The kicker being trying to get it inspected. Not something I would even want to think about trying to figure out how you can get that changed.

Smog computer sees VIN # in database. Technician hooks up smog computer to car, opps wrong VIN number, then the trouble starts.

Maybe it it not that bad who knows. Just one more added hurdle.

9. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

yes it was the same engine. and i will agree with you that computers are a b!tch to work with on newer vehickles. but inspections arent a problem for me because when jesse ventura was govenor he closed all the smog inspection shops so now we can do whatever we want with our vehickles and not worry about inspections.

10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Well the OP is in CT which pretty much adopted the smog laws from Mass, which in turn adopted smog laws from CA.

So pretty much you need a reprieve from the governor to swap an engine out for one different over here.

Send Jesse over here for 4 years please.

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

ha im not sure what Jesse has been doing these days

12. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

The engine mounts should be the same.

13. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

the engine spun a bearing so I was thinking out my options is why

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

How many miles on the truck itself?

You own this truck already?

15. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

yea 90,000 on the truck. new everything also(exhaust, brakes, tires, bearing in rear end, axles) so i dont want it to go to waste. It even has a full tank of gas

16. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sounds like it is worth some work for sure. I would stick with just fixing what you have, motor wise. On the plus side the v6 is sure to get better MPG

17. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

not sure but I am betting

18. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

i think the wiring harness might be the same because it is the same engine just smaller. This week I am going to look at a 4.3 out of a 97 blazer with 100k. The guy wants $300. its still the truck so i can hear it run. What do you guys think about that price?

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Huh? So you would only need 6 fuel injectors firing on the new V8? Harness would be different for sure.

$300 asking for a running motor is not bad. Even more so when you can hear it run.

20. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

i think they only have one fuel injector??