1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Aug 22, 2003.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

My dad has a 90 chevy 2500 with a 350 and about 130K. The thing hasn't ran right for a while now. When it is cold it surges and stumbles. We have had it to different garages on computers which were no help. We have replaced the coil, pickup coil, module, fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, 02 sensor, and it still runs like ****. Its never been to powerful I think it has like a 2.92 ratio. thats most of the problem. Some one told me to check the vacuum ports on the TBI haven't done this yet. When we changed the plugs on plug was completely welded solid and it was only runnin of 7 cylinders but it still ran (thats cause its a chevy) any how that helped alot but why was that plug like that? It wasn't overdue for plugs. Is a valve sticking? It seems like it only has about 50 hp or something we are going to rebuild it this winter if we get the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated :(:help:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Have you changed the cap and rotor ? They are bad for arcing internally,and burning up the rotor button.

Could also be a bad or lazy O2 sensor,plugged cat,sticking EGR,etc

Maybe even a bad or weak fuel pump.It's hard to check pressure on those trucks,as there is no test port,but it should be checked to verify the pressure is OK.

3. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

thanks

Thanks for the help. We did replace the cap and rotor I forgot to mention. I will have to check the cat and EGR. The fuel filter was so clogged you couldn't blow through it .

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Keep us updated on what all you find.