1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine overheating with the plow on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by datank450, Jan 8, 2014.

1. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I cant pull any hills without my f450 6.0 overheating. Sometimes there is no safe place to pull over and my temp gauge runs into the red zone. My truck doesn't have any aftermarket temp gauges, everything that I use to monitor my engine is factory dash gauges. I know, I need to get some better engine monitoring instruments. But anyway, I'm looking for some insight on this problem. I recently took the water pump out to replace it but it looked like there was no wear issues with it so I put it back on trying to figure out why it's overheating, also replaced the Tstat. I then inspected the heater core and lines going in and out. The in line was very hot and the out cold, figuring the heater core is plugged up, I disconnected the lines and back washed the heater core, a bunch of sludge shot out. I then had heat, but now my engine still overheats while driving with the plow. I think I need an upgraded fan clutch. I almost put a fan clutch on when I had the water pump off but I didn't suspect a problem with it and I'm not just trying to dump money where it's not needed to still have the problem. I found a snow package fan clutch on the ford website, so I think I'm gonna take the truck apart again and get that one on there. $500 part at ford and $300 at pep boys, I'm hoping this takes care of my problem. Does anybody have the same problem and is it normal to overheat like this with a plow?

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

No its not normal.

How.many miles on it? A heavy duty fan clutch normally fixes it.

You should have replaced that water pump. They are known to caviate on the 6.4

3. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

139000k and the water pump looked new still so I didn't go buy a new one, I was troubleshooting trying to figure what the problem was. Basically I'm tight on cash right now and didn't wanna spend if I didn't have to. It's not a big job to do, so ill do it when it goes bad.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Does the fan spin easy or have resistance when you spin it by hand

5. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

The fan spins easy but doesn't seem te engage until I pull over and pop the hood

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

It shouldn't spin easy. Clutch is probably shot.

7. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

How easy should it spin if its shot? Im at the truck right now, it takes a little push to turn it. I guess I don't think it spins that easy

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

If it keeps spinning after you push it its done for.

I'm 90% sure its your problem anyway. I'm sure someone else will give you some ideas.

9. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

It doesn't overheat without the plow, I could also be hauling the skidsteer and stil doesn't overheat. I think ill spend the couple extra bucks on the snow package fan clutch.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You don't drive with the plow all the way up do you

11. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I guess I could lower it a little while on the highway, but I was already thinking I had it stet low, it'll scrape going into some lots an at some intersections.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah that's part of your problem. Run it as low as you can. Just raise it at intersections and wherever else.

13. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

As soon as the fan kicks on it cools down fast, maybe I just need an upgraded fan clutch. I may just do the water pump considering its not that expensive and it would make the most sense to make me bulletproof for a while.

14. danknight163

danknight163 Member

another good thing to do is keep the blade to the left it helps air flow

15. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Is that the same as having the highest point of the plow up toward the passenger side?

16. Unrealo4

Unrealo4 Junior Member

Reg fan clutch will spin backwards if there isnt enough air coming through. Get the snow package fan clutch and it will help. Other then that angle it out one way and drop it as far as you can without it touching the ground.

17. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

that will happen all the time with a blizzard blade on, faster you go the worse it gets, blizzard offers a scoop for the top of the blade that catches the deflected air and pushes it back into the rad, go look at that and make your self something similar,

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Snow plow fan clutch from the dealer

19. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

The dealers fan clutch is $500, pepboys has it for around $300. You think ill run into problems with the cheaper one from pepboys?

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I can't answer that sorry. Is it a h.d. clutch and rated or say that its for plow trucks?