1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine overheating question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rodnbow1, Oct 26, 2004.

1. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

i have a 99 suburban and in thew summer the temp goes way up when it is hot outside, especially when driving on asphalt paved roads. my question is what can i do to deflect some of the heat from the street? hpe this isn't too dumb to ask. thanks. :(

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Better define "way up"......

What engine does the truck have?

3. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

the engine is a 350 vortec. by way up i mean 2 lines past the 200' mark

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

First I'd check the entire cooling system for operation including the fan clutch and replace the t-stat. Normal operating temp is around 210 deg. Make sure the gauge reading is accurate. The 5.7 vortec was famous for intake manifold leaks in the left front and right rear corners.

5. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

thanks for the reply jmr. will do.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, that pretty much sums it up. Do they really normally run 210??? Not having one, I wouldn't know, but that seems pretty high! That must be a 195 tstat... does a cooler stat mess up the computer on these?

Don't forget the importance of the basics either ie: plastic bag sucked into the front of the rad or a low coolant level... airlocks after a flush and refill.... things like that. And don't forget about safety when working on the cooling system, high temps and high pressures make for a dangerous situation.

I wouldn't think there would be a lot of difference between driving on asphalt or gravel roads other than that we probably don't tend to go as fast on gravel....