1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brucester1, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

my friend and i both have F250 7.3 powerstroke. both have about 130000 miles on them. mine has more engine noise than his when at an idle. does anyone have an explanation for this?

2. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Does one have a programmer and one doesn't?

3. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

not that i know of just mine is X L and my friends is a X L T .runs great just the engine noise at an idle .same noise as his just more of it

4. i have seen that before i have never seen it be a bad thing it just mean you work yours harder from what i have seen and that's what it sounds like.

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have been working for years to quiet down my 7.3. Is your friend running synthetic motor oil? I found synthetic makes the biggest difference of all. I also run Hot Shot Secret. It's an injector cleaner that actually cleans the moving components of the injectors and not just the tips.

Do you still have your hood blanket?

Have you both been to Ford for the CPS recall. The new one seemed to quiet down my engine even further. It all has to do with engine timing.

I have done some interior work to my truck and now I can cruise down the highway and basically hear nothing but the turbo. I don't even have to shut my engine off at drive thru windows.

6. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

we all run the same fuel and oil ,the only recall was for the crank sensor unit .maybe a programmer will help ?been thinking of getting 1 anyway .the noise is not a problem its just the thought of being that noticeable

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Programmers, under certain setting, will advance the timing and actually increase combustion noise.

Perhaps you are getting air into the fuel lines. Air bubbles will cause major injector noise.

Check this link out: http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php