1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine light cam on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

HI everyone, I'm stumped again. 1996 chevy, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 turbo diesel.

I had my plow serviced yesterday.(Blizzard)
    The guy at the shop changed the location of the fuse because he says if the truck is off & the"ON" button on the joystick stays on, it'll drain the batteries. (thats what happened as he left the truck outside overnight).

So, he puts the fuse, to the ignition just before I got there to pick it up.
    I drove for about half hour to get home. When I got home, I went to shut the truck off & it didnt turn off, even with the key out of the ignition.

I took the fuse out & went to shut the truck off & that worked. In the meanwhile, the engine light came on.
    As I drove around the block a few times, I noticed the truck wasnt coming out of first gear while driving, it was staying in first.

I relocated the fuse back to where it was 2 days ago & everything is fine now, however the engine light is still on when I started her up this morning. I drove the truck for about an hour & the shifting seems to be fine, but the engine light is still on.

Any thoughts ?

2. u better go back lol i had a similar problem where the origional installer hooked it up to my overdrive fuse and the truck didnt shift right. best way to solve the problem is either take power directly from the battery or set up a relay connected to a power source controlled by the ignition

3. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

at first he hooked it up to the glow plug fuse, but then he realized that there'd only be power there when starting.

So he changed it to the ignition source, thats when we started having these troubles.

So I just bypassed what he did & put eveythig back to the way it was. All power is back to normal, however, the engine light is still on.

But now that you mentioned the shifting, I did notice this morning that that was a little off when going into 4th gear.

This sucks.