1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine install

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BrendonV, Oct 12, 2002.

1. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

i am done builing my engine, i took it out, now its time to put it in...i need steps on how to do this, 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4, 5.7L V8...

thanks brendonv

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

OK.... I waited a respectful period of time before I replied...

But someone has to say this!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you took out the engine and rebuilt it..., JUST do the exact opposite of what you did to take it out!

If you don't know how to put it back, you should never have taken it out in the first place....:rolleyes: :p

3. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

hey thanks for the help, i wasnt really looking for why ass comments but it works...:waving:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2002
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Jeff, I was kinda thinkin' the same thing!;)

Brendon, if you come up against any particular stumbling blocks, just post, someone here can help.

Is the tranny auto or standard?

5. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

well its got a standard tranny, i was wondering if u put teh bellhosing on the engine or put it on the tranny first

thanks brendonv

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That's why I asked.

I find it's easier to install the clutch and bellhousing on the hook, then just slide the input shaft into place when dropping the engine in.

A little tip:
    Go out and buy four 3" bolts of the same thread size as the transmission to belhousing bolts and then cut the heads off.

After lowering the motor into the engine bay, hand thread the bolts into place, these will act as guides for the transmission while you get things lined up.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2002
  7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Brendon,

sorry for the wise a** remark but I couldn't help myself. !!!:p

Making a comment that you removed your engine , rebuilt it and now need help on how to get it back in is alot different than asking which is easier

Putting the bellhousing and clutch on before or after the engine gets slid in.

;)

Mick's right. its alot easier on the hook.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2002
  8. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

should i install the throwout bearing on the clutch fork and install that on the bellhousing, then put the engine in, is there a speacial way the throwout bearing goes on the clutch fork because there is like a place werre the metal juts out, (not a perfect circle)....sorta like a tear drop but more circleish, haha dont know how to describe it

brendonv

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You should be able to install the clutch fork after lowering the motor into place, if you do it before, it's just something else to get hung up on the way in.