1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine Hours

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NCat496, Jan 14, 2010.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

How many hours can be expected out of the newer GM trucks ever since they put the digital hourmeter in the dash? Now I understand its different for some because of the way people maintain their trucks, but a truck that has a regular oil change. Just wondering. My truck has the 8.1 Liter with 63,200 miles and 3250 engine hours. Is that a lot, a little?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm at about the same hours as you... 3,350... with around 76,500 miles on my '03. I'd be interested to know how many hours these engines can be expected to go...???

3. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Lets you figure out the average speed of the truck as well. I think the higher the ave miles and the lower the hours on a truck, the more desireable it would be for me, lotsa highway miles.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the truck or on the engine specifically?

I'll give you an example on the engine if thats what you're after. The 8.1's are just one of the GM engines used in industrial and remote power generators (for agricultural use for example) and in those instances they're well know to go over 10,000 hours running at 60%-80% maximum load and running 24 hours a day 7 days a week. And they do so consistently with only a shut down for oil changes/regular service.

Of course it's not quite the same situation as the engine in a truck with the different demands placed on it vs in a continuously running generator but I know of a few 8.1 equipped trucks that are nearing 8000 hrs and still going strong.

But like anything else, correct maintenance and treatment makes a major difference to the lifespan of anything.

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I know what you are saying, as you can tell mine idles A LOT. I never shut it off during plowing. It gets started in the garage then shut off when I get back home. I take the keyless entry off the key ring when I walk into a store or something and leave it running.

6. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

On the engine I was talking about. I also run synthetic in all of my trucks and they get oil changes at 3000-5000 depending on how hard they are working. How about the 6.0's B&B?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 6.0's will go 200K without breaking a sweat and I've personally witnessed them go 250K with nothing but routine service. Can't give you any specifics on hours though but there's no reason they won't have similar numbers to an 8.1. In fact they're actually a more efficient engine overall than an 8.1 so in theory they should actually live longer, all outside variables being the same of course.

8. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Good to know. Iv got 138000 on my 8.1 and I believe 3200 hours.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

void, already covered

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My 2000 6.0 has 127k miles and about 4400 hours on the meter. No issues with the powertrain, she gets regular oil changes every 10k with Mobil1 5w-30 and filters every 5k. I use about a quart between filter changes.

11. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

My 04 Silverado had the cluster changed out a few years ago and the hours were never right and now they just reset. Anyone else ever have this issue?

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah,it was a recall on those clusters if I remember correctly.My 04 Jimmy Dmax had it changed out.One day almost all the gauges went wacky,including the speedometer---quite a ride doing 120mph in a 30 zone.:dizzy:

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

My 04 duramax is about to roll 5000 hours and 104k

14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I guess I don't idle my truck nearly as much as some of you, I have 172K and 5500-5800 hours can't rememberexactly how many off the top of my head

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have an 01 dually GMC 6.0 with 75k miles and a hair under 5000 hours. It's uses 1l of oil every 1k. Truck still runs really good for only being used as a salt truck since new.

16. tar

tar Junior Member

my 05 resets the hours about every 200-300 hours, ive got 33000 miles and now it says 13 hours. never had the cluster changed or any dealer service work. the dealer checked this and said all is good, well make a note of it though. thats the comfort i was looking for :confused:

17. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

My 07 Duramax just rolled 2000hrs after 51k miles. Thought it was kind of high myself but i do idle quite a bit... if I run in the store for a second, the truck stays running.

18. plow4life

plow4life Junior Member
    from MO

09 silverado 5.3L with 16k miles and a between 400-500 hours

19. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

06 with 118K 4600 hours

20. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

My hours reset too! Happend on a 2005 chev 3500 dmax.
    I installed a new radio and when I noticed the reset
    So if the hrs look to good to be true its probably not true.