1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine heater question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Bodgit2, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I installed a lower radiator hose coolant heater on my New Holland L553 diesel Skidsteer today because it is slow to start (with glowplugs) on really cold days. It is used to plow and move horse manure around my place- 72" snow bucket/ chains.
    My question is how long to leave it plugged in prior to planned use on a cold day?
    My JD diesel farm tractor has an engine block heater. How long for that one do you guys advise?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rochester, NY
  2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

i had a 555 deluxe, which i believe is the same engine.
    actually, they had 2 engines. mine was the kabota.

ours had 5000 plus hours. i wouldn't call it tired, but it for sure was "used."

general rule was below 20 starting was marginal. below 10 she wouldn't start without plug in.

so how cold is it? 2 hours is a fair amount for 10 degree weather. at minus 20, on mine, 4 hours seemed to work.

be sure that where the heater is, it is UPHILL into the engine, not the radiator. on mine, it was possible to put the engine heater to where it mostly heated the radiator.
  3. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Thanks! I put the heater right against the engine block in the lower radiator hose. It will warm the engine prefentially the way it's situated.
    It's snowing good here, windy and cold so I plugged it in now and will fire it up first thing in the am to try it out. It is definitely hard to get that Kubota motor going in real cold weather!
  4. zapster

zapster Member

the block heater will probably add 40-50$ to your elect bill if you leave it pluged in for long spellspayup

i use a timer set to go @3 am and by 5 i'm good to go:nod:

5. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice! I used it this am and what a pleasure to start up like it was warm out. The Skid sure makes short work of the snow!