1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine cutting out

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Grshppr, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Heres the truck. 1978 D100-400. Engine runs fine in park, as soon as I put it in reverse it stops, as if someone has turned the key off. Sometimes it works fine, then as soon as I turn the lights on, it cuts out. It has a fairly new ignition module, where should I start looking. Could it be a problem in the wiring in the steering column? :confused: The truck has run great for the past 5 years I had it, but today I put it in the paper, so maybe thats what the problem is, she doesn't want to leave me...

2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Lights Out

I have had a few Old Dodges, One of my old junkers got pretty rusty and started doing the same thing intermittent. I found that the electrical ground to the cab was poor and any load other than ignition would draw the voltage at the cab down too low to run.
    A simple way to check is put a jumper wire right from the battery - to the ignition module, If that helps put on a couple permanent wires to supply good ground.
    Hyperpack

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

make sure module under hood is grounded check amp gauge wires if the amp gauge is faulty when it looses connection it will shut off usaully we cut the wire out of the amp gauge and connect the 2 ends togther

try the wiggle test with it running gently wiggle the harness under the hood then under the dash see if it shuts off

cardoctor:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I think I may have found the problem. I had just taken the body lift out of the truck a few days ago, and in doing so, the ground wire to the battery was pinched, and not really grounding. Also the ground to the body was off. I fixed these two problems, and it seems to be runnig good now. Thanks for the input guys.:)