1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine coolant HEATER?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Jan 26, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I was reading through my truck's owners manual this afternoon (not much else to do w/o snow :cry:), and came across a section outlining how there is an engine coolant heater on the 6.0L V8 Engine. Do all the trucks have it? If not, what's the code for it? I was looking around in the engine for it for a while and couldn't find it (if my truck even has it I'm not sure). Anyone know if all the trucks have it,a nd if so, where it's located (the plug)?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have a 03 and it is tucked up on top of the frame in front of the left front tire. It is wrapped up and a little hard to find. My Dad has a 05 Jimmy and it took me a while to find his block heater plug also. Take a look through the drivers side front wheelwell and you should find it.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So they all do have it then?

Is it a block heater or an actual coolant heater? Would it do harm to leave it plugged in say overnight even if the temp is at like 25*F?

4. doh

doh Senior Member

They are only 1500 watts, so no harm will come by leaving it plugged in.

It was - 30F last week and I had to plug mine in, usually I don't except the starter drive has been disengaging. It would have started if it would have cranked over.

@ 25 degress it is not needed and would be like leaving a hair drier plugged in all night.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Or plug for 1or 2 hour before you ready to go it. Instead overnight that would cost close 10 dollars or more for that.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Okay, I went out to look for it, couldn't find it. Can comeone take a pic and point out exactly where it's located? Is it actually on the frame itself? How can I get to it (from the top, underneath the truck?)? Is it just wrapped, or is it in a little "box"? If someone could landmark it by giving it's position relative to the PS pump etc, that'd be great. Is it before or after the "bend" in the frame (where it bends down in the very front)?

Thanks,
    Matt

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Also- do all 6.0L's definitely have it, or is it like an optional item (with a code)?

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No, they don't all have it, most don't and its a option on a gasser. You don't need it on the gassers.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hmmm, that's interesting, in the manual, it says it as if it's on all of the 6.0L's. Is there a code in the glove box for it so I cna see if my truck has it?

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I don't know the code but the manuals for my '99, 02, and 07 6.0 Chevies all eluded that they came with a coolant/block heater but none of them had it. If yours doesn't have one, you can add one really cheap.

11. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I'm not sure if GM has changed the RPO# but on my 94 GMC the "HEATER, ENGINE BLOCK" was code K05. I hope this helps. It is my understanding that it is an option on the gassers.

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I agree but if engine is cast iron so need heater. My 1979 f150 have engine it 4.9L 300 it got forever to warm up. We change thermoset to 190 degree but I think it would help fast if have heater on it but I am not sure how much it cost but it pretty expense like 60 dollars.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

K05 is the correct option code for the block heater. And it is an option on the gas engines.

It is an actual block heater that's threaded into the block on the driver side above the oil cooler outlet.

I believe that many of the Canadian destined trucks that dealers ordered got the block heater, so that may be why many guys in the northern climates find their 6.0's do in fact have the option.

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My truck was made in Canada, so I'd assumeit'd be possible it could have it. My truck came from Rochester, NY. Anyhow, can someone give more specifics on how to locate it if it's there?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Easiest way is to look at the RPO option decal in the glox box for the "K05" option code. If it has the heater, it'll be there on the decal. Won't even need to get your hands dirty..:)