1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Engine breaking problems???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ommegang, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I have an 08' 5.4L F250 and with plow and salt load, I come to a fast stop w/o tow/haul mode on, my truck revvved up, like engine breaking, but never down-shifted. So, it accelerated me almost into an accident! This also happened on a steep ramp and almost sent me into the garage door! Anyone experience this or have any input? It is quite disconcerting to say the least!

2. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Doesn't sound right I would have it checked at the dealer especially if its under warranty. My 6.0 will not brake or rev at all unless tow/haul is engaged.
  3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i was unaware the 5.4l gassers had an engine brake
    my 6.0l will only engine brake with tow/haul mode turned on and it will disengage if i apply the brakes hard enough
  4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

its not based on motor its based on the torqshift tranny.

take it in to the dealer, its brand new thats what the warranty is for. i always run with tow haul on when i have any load on the truck, and maybe start braking a little sooner until you get an answer. how did you pull it off into a garage door almost?
  5. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Are you wearing large boots??? If the acceleartor isn't at idle, it ain't gonna work.