1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine brakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by a palustris, Dec 15, 2002.

1. a palustris

a palustris Member

How many of you have engine brakes on your trucks that are under CDL? I was driving around a couple of Mitsubishi Fuso's this summer and they had the engine brakes. I thought it was a nice feature. Do any of you have them on your pickups or small dumps?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

They work great in the summer, just don't use them on snow covered roads. Our trucks don't even have them for that reason.

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

We have one installed on our 2001 F-550 and it works great. I like it especially when the truck is loaded or when pulling the machine on the trailer.

It makes a big difference! I can drive downhill with the truck/trailer loaded and it will hold or even times reduce the speed of the truck. Most of the time I turn it off in the snow, but have run it in storms with no lockup or problems.

At times it would be nice to have it adjustable between low/high like on a traditional tri-axle or larger truck, but it still does a great job.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

My 2500HD with the duramax/allison works a lot like it. In tow haul going down the hill the truck downshifts and adjusts the speed according too the grade. BD makes an exhaust brake for my truck, but i dont think i need it. the allison does a good job by itself. The place i got my mods put on told me you can pull off an off ramp doing 65 and slow down in nothing flat with the exhaust brake. i dont see how it would be beneficial while plowing though
  5. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

I have one on my isuzu NQR 17,995 GVW
    Love it for slowing down with out have to use the brakes, On my Old GMC w-4 (Same truck, just with 14,550 GVW.) i got 70,000 mile out of it with no brake replacement! and it was always loaded!
  6. a palustris

a palustris Member

John, do you remember approximately how much it cost to have the engine brake installed on your 550?
  7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I paid $495 for the Western Diesel brake and another $140 for the install.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Pacbrake engine brake on my Ram 2500's Cummins engine. I love this thing,it helps a lot,best part is,the engine warms up like a gasser with it in.I turn it on when i get out of the truck,the next morning fire it up with the remote starter,and the brake kicks on as soon as it gets oil pressure,and it warms up as fast as my GMC's 350 does.When i am driving on the interstate,the brake works incredible,you never need the service brakes,unless your in a panic stop or under 20 mph.Mine cost $695,but the automatic requires som mods to make it work,I already modified my trans last yr,so it was all set up for the brake.I do have a $400 DTT smart controller that integrates the brake,and does it all automatically,even the 4-3 downshift is done by itself, at the preset speed,its a very nice setup,once its all installed. Now that I ahve the brake, i will never own another diesel truck without one,it works that good.