1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

engine block heater..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Dec 4, 2005.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

im new to diesels..whats the deal with the block heater??
    i live at 4000' elevation, and it gets to at least zero in the winter..

i know what its for, just not sure when to use it..also ive noticed that maybe the truck ive ordered ( 06 duramax) will come with a grill cover..whats up with that?
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 01 Dodge Cummins I plug it in pretty much once it gets below 15 degrees at nite, it helps it start alot easier, & it gets heat faster when it's warming up. I think it also help the life of the motor being started warm
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Same here on the block heater. I have mine on a timer so it comes on and runs 3-4 hours before I go to work. I figured out that was plenty after wasting electricity running it all night long. Stinks parking at work for 9-10 hours and coming out to a cold start with no heat for a long time :< Not a big fan of the grill cover, don't really understand why people think they need it. I know it helps you have better heat if you've got a small motor, and in big trucks that are wide open under the hood it can help protect the fuel filters from freezing up, but on a new pickup you ought to be able to heat that antifreeze up with that big motor, your air intake is not through the grill, and your fuel filter has a heater in it. I'd be more concerned about doing harm when it warms up and you still havent got it off yet. Maybe I'd do it if it was 20 below driving on the highway, but if you are plowing your making a lot of heat with little airflow anyway. I'm sure a lot of people swear by them, I'm just saying I've never needed one on my diesel. We had them for all our diesel heavy duty trucks at work a few years ago, wasnt long before we quit using them, too much hassle putting them on and taking them off every other day. Every once in a while I see one (usually an old buck driving), I have to wonder if he thinks all the other hundreds of diesel trucks on the road with him are suffering.
  4. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

In most cases you can leave the truck plugged in for as long as you like, but you'll have to pay for the electricity. In below freezing temps its impossible for a block heater to get the antifreeze too hot.

When I was growing up, my parents installed a remotely switched electrical outlet in the garage so we could get up and switch on the block heater from the kitchen. That wasn't enough warm-up time in really cold weather, but still worked well to give you immediate heat in the vehicle. On really cold nights we just left the outlet (and block heater) on all night. There are a lot of electrical timers available now, so you could try the same setup and just have the outlet go on and off with a timer.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

dosnt need to be plugged in but it helps with everything for it to be a bit warm. Plus instant heat rocks:D And if you turn your truck to defrost and then turn it off when you plug it in alot of times light frost wont stick to 1/2 your window:cool: Its overkill but if its freezing I plug it in if I can. Only thing it hurts is electric bill but an outside timer set to kick on anywere between 1-3 hours depending the temp will acomplish pretty much the same thing and not eat up so much juice. The cord is bundled up on the pass side, you need to free it from the loom and then peel back some of the tape to get slack. Then I run it to the hole in the bumper and zip tie it in place. Tucked away when not in use but easy to get to.

Ok winter cover......again not needed. Buuuut......a warm diesel is a happy diesel. The stocker you cant run it while plowing though becasue the wind does some funky turbulence stuff and rips it off :eek: But I ran one of those cool man stainless steel ones and its a 2 peice deal and I left the bottom portion off the grill so air 1/2 way got to the trans cooler and such and everything ran fine in the way of operating temps. I never ran the bumper cover though.....

When you get your truck fit the factory vinal cover while its warm(either in a warm garage or leave it inside to get nice an pliable)
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

as far as the grille covers go, i was told that as you are travelling down the road in cold tempuratures, it causes the fan behind the grille to become very brittle and can actually break...i was told this by a diesel mechanic, so don't shoot the messenger on this one