1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Energy Drinks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by goel, Feb 3, 2013.

1. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Energy Drinks - Hospital visits increasing

Posted this in my local weather thread, but its not just a regional issue so I thought I would share.

Has everyone heard of the recent studies about energy drinks and increased hospital visits?

Had it happen to one if my guys. Recently he finished a shift, not from an overly busy week but he is just under 30 with a family and as we all know sleep sometimes does not always happen during the day when you work nights in our profession.

During the summer, he was always consistent with 1 energy drink a day because he did not really like coffee.

Seems that recently he was increasing he's energy drinks and including coffee during shifts because, well coffee is nice and warm.

So after a salt run he goes home and sleeps, wakes up 3 hours later with chest pains and goes to emerg. They keep him the rest of that night, all day and the next night also (about 30 hours).

Boom, 2 weeks off and zero caffeine allowed. He spent most of the first week just sleeping he says.

All has settled down now, everything is good and he has a clean bill of health from his drs but he will never touch a energy drink again and basically avoids all Caffeine.

He was, of course one of my go to guys that could do anything for me.

Caught me by suprise, keep it in mind for your guys and gals.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I have a nice lil redbull habit that replaced Mt Dew and Coffee. I know I need to kick it. Quitting Mt Dew kinda sucked as I remember it. Redbull should be a sponsor on a plowing website.lol
  3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Of course he did. He was abusing it. And do you believe him that he only drank one a day? I'v seen people pound out 3 in an hour. Even drinking that much soda is not good for you, let alone energy drinks.

Everything is ok with moderation.

I had somewhat of a same spell a few years back when NOS first came out. I dislike redbull taste, but NOS was awesome. I was 26 at the time and could afford it so I was drinking one a day sometimes two. A few weeks later I started getting really bad heart burns. So bad that I would curl over on the mower in pain. Took a few days for me to realize that it was the energy drink. Since then I have almost completely stopped drinking them. Only do so on long car rides when I'm feeling like coffee.

The things you hear about people having heart attacks is kids, not adults. Teenagers and young 20s do not need energy drinks, hell they dont even need coffee. They have enough energy that it just isn't needed. Throw in the cool factor of having so much more energy and they drink 5 or 6 a day. Just like soda, it's not good for you to drink only it.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with the coffee. Besides after a few of them that coffee with keep you "regular"!
  5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I am sure of it during the summer as he was always with a crew.

This did not happen over the summer, but relatively recently and I had no idea that he was drinking multiples, as I said he is one if my go to guys that Plows, salts and does routes (any of them) on his own - because I know he can. Rarely does our hand shoveller work with him.

I agree he was abusing them. I put this out there for information not to be flamed about it.
  6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Ha! You want to see abuse of energy drinks? Go to a NASCAR shop. I worked on a team for a few years, and it was normal for everyone on the team to drink 4 redbulls before lunch, and another four after lunch. Some guys even took stacker diet pills to get more of a pep. It was insane.
  7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I only drink the BLUE monster energy drinks when I'm plowing - there low carb/low sugar drinks.

I didn't start drinking coffee til my early thirties........Haven't missed a morning cup of joe since I started a few years ago.
  8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

The studies have shown that these drinks may trigger a preexisting condition, but that they won't cause the illness to happen in an otherwise healthy individual. As with anything, moderation is the key. There is nothing wrong with drinking one or two of the 8oz sugar free redbull drinks daily in lieu of coffee and any other stimulant. Coffee is naturally high in antioxidants though, so it is a little more of a benefit to the body in the prevention of some forms of cancers.
  9. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

I was on a 2-3 power drink a day habit. Then one day I had half a power drink and ate something. It made me dizzy to the point I had to lean on a wall to hold myself up. Ended up dry heaving 3-4 hours that night. Took about 2 days to feel normal again. I thought I had food poisoning. Laid off it for a while then got back into the habit. How I figured out it was the drinks was this: Had nothing to eat all day. Had half a can of fuel and started to get dizzy right after I gulped half a can. Made it home and puked my guts out. No more 3 a days habit for me. I think it had to do with the niacin. Read somewhere you can poison yourself by overdoing that vitamin.

Read an article in the news about some college chick that was guzzing like 8 5hr energy drinks per day. They thought she had hepatitis because she was showing symptoms of liver failure. Once they figured out what she was doing they fixed her.

The caffine isn't the worst of these things, it's the vitamin content.
  10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

One of the largest health concern matters (epidemics) that is showing it's effects, yet not being addressed is Sugar Derivatives. It's not being addressed obviously because it's a multi-billion dollar industry.

If anyone old enough can remember the big "NO MSG" craze, back in the 80's & early 90's, MSG was one of the earlier derivatives used to make food taste good. It took so much heat that places like Burger King started the No MSG band wagon, due to all of the negative publicity.

What ended up happening in short, was the producers became wiser and developed new names for the sugar based products & became even better and producing a wider range of those products, which are now in almost every processed food and soft drink anywhere, including energy drinks.

The harm with these products?........It's basically like free basing sugar, while altering it on a molecular level, only it's so concentrated the body simply can't metabolize it.

It becomes an inexpensive food additive to make food & beverages more palatable. In short, the brain and other major organs such as heart, kidneys & liver...become damaged from the toxic effects from these products. The FDA & other big name groups are all sleeping in the same bed as the producers...go figure, but that's basically why they're legal.

When you add into that formula high doses of caffeine and other unregulated substances, you have a product whose results only remain to be seen, but are now showing up as collateral damage...yet not really being addressed.

There are some interesting parallels when looking at the statistics of said products, when considering the time element of when these products were first introduced, as they have evolved in relation to heart attacks & diseases/ailments such as childhood obesity, Dementia, Alzheimer's, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, as well as various neurological disorders. The most obvious one is probably depression...But that's ok, because the same fine folks who delivered these products to you in your food and beverage, also have a pill you can take to resolve that problem...so you'll be just fine. Just don't take the ones that cause suicidal thoughts, impotence, migraines, constipation, dehydration or seizures.
  11. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I'm glad i never formed a caffeine habit. People always offer and i politely refuse. Always brings a shocked response but i spend my money on enough dumb stuff.
  12. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I used to drink monsters, but I found after a while I was getting jittery so I laid off them, went back to just water and coffee the jitters went away.
  13. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I drink Rockstars. I think they are one of the Tamer energy drinks, but I try and keep it down to 2-3 a week.
  14. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Anything in moderation is just fine - including coffee and energy drinks.
  15. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

I drink 1 rockstar and I'm golden for hours!!!..sometimes..too many hours;)

I find they kick in an hour or 2 after I drink it..Like halfway home from Quebec and then I'm spun for hours once I'm home.

Lots of good things to keep in mind :)

16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I drink coffee, about 3 to-go sized cups a day and sometimes 4 in the winter. In the summer it slows way down. I tend to be in better shape and the longer days seem to better on my psyche.

Never been a huge fan of energy drinks, but occasionally I'll buy a short can of red-bull if I'm close to the end of a route and I'm starting to drag. I might drink 2-3 energy drinks a year.

17. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Good info, coldcoffee. I used to drink the absolute zero monsters. But lately, I've been drinking just black coffee for a boost.
  18. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Water. And RedBull.

But staying hydrated and having the appropriate sugars coming in is all you need to be healthy and alert when working long shifts.

Processed sugars and carbohydrates are the reasons for people having health issues. But, when you have a medical profession that does not look at food, and a food profession that does not look at medicine, you are going to have a problem. Especially since 80-90% of "food" in most grocery stores is processed crap.
  19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

It was more likely an insulin spike from the sugar content of the drink along with the empty stomach.

Do a google search regarding high sugar intake/insulin spikes and you will see it leads to a lot of bad health issues (suppress's the imune system).

So sad but true, they are more interested in lining their pockets then actually looking out for people. Its why you'll see a commercial for a new drug on TV (Which shouldn't be allowed) and then 6 months later a commercial for a class action law suit against that drug.

Meanwhile, they won't help out the natural supplement industry and force them to put a label stating that their product is not intended to treat cure and disease and is not FDA Approved. :rolleyes:
  20. Rainer

Rainer Member

Wanna stay awake? 8-12 OZ ice cold water and a handful (1/4 cup) of almonds or peanuts every 2 hours.

Caffeine is OK, but if you get the jitters then you've taken too much. And you're WASTING it. Energy drinks are fine, if you're going to burn them off. Sitting behind the wheel of a truck is NOT burning them off.